Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I tried a brand new cable, and it still did the beeping. Did it 4x times in the pattern I mentioned earlier.

Not sure if this helps troubleshoot, but, when the desktop is making the audible beeping sound, the power button is always flashing in unison with the beeping. Don't know what's going on. Not sure what to do. Can't be the monitor since it works on HDMI, right? So by power of deduction, it would probably have to be the video card. Is that right? I don't know. This has never happened to me before. I'm baffled. 

HP Recommended

Well, I like to be thorough on that power of deduction thing.

As I pointed out earlier, You have narrowed down the fact that is in the DisplayPort connection and changing the cable did not help. 3+3 beeps is a graphics issue.  Its most likely the card, but it would be a good idea if you could test the PC with another monitor that uses DP, just to be sure. And/Or test the LG monitor on another PC with DP.

I only say be thorough just in case I'm wrong and it ends up being the monitor.

If it is in fact the card, you are open to upgrade what ever you want 🙂 . I would consider at the very least, an NVIDIA GTX 1050ti or better. A 1050ti can use the same 300w power supply thats in it now. If you upgrade to something more powerful, you will have to buy a new power supply also. And I would personally just go with an NVIDIA card this time.

HP Recommended

Hi, so I connected the monitor to my work laptop using a DP cable from the monitor to a docking station that was connected to my work laptop, and it worked fine. Displayed the image from my work laptop on the new LG monitor. No issues.

I think I should probably look into getting a new card. Thanks for the suggestion on what to get because I had no idea. I've put RAM into several of my computers and installed a CD drive back in the day, but that's my extend to that type of thing.

Is it as simply as powering down your system, taking the old card out, putting the new card in, and then power my machine back up and it works like RAM does? Or is it more involved than that? 

HP Recommended

OK good to know. Ya its pretty simple to install a new one. Just be careful when pulling it out. You need to make sure you open the tab lever on the end of the PCIe slot first. I believe it its the type that will snap back into place with the card is fully inserted.

PCIe tab.jpg

If you go NVIDIA over AMD, download the latest driver for the NVIDIA card to your desktop first.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Then uninstall the AMD driver. Use a tool like Guru 3D driver uninstaller and let it remove everything it finds. Choose the Clean and Shutdown option when you run it... 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then install the new card, boot and run the driver installer.

HP Recommended

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help! I truly appreciate it. I wasn't starting to think I needed to buy a whole new system because it was about to die. Glad to know that's not the case.

With that said (in your personal opinion), which manufacturer would you suggest that makes the better graphics card? NVIDIA or AMD? Asking because I have no idea. You mentioned getting a GTX 1050ti or better graphics card. Not exactly what the GTX 1050i means, but, after a little research, I discovered that's a type of card and not a specific brand. 

Also, when you said "better", what kind of graphics card would be better than the GTX 1050ti card? I plan on getting a second LG HD gaming monitor, since I love the first one, and I want a graphics card that will be able to handle/support both.

Thanks again for your help! It's been invaluable.

HP Recommended

Not that this makes a difference at this point (because this issue is still with the graphics card), but I just realized from looking at my Amazon order of my HP Omen desktop computer that I actually have the HP Omen 870-241 and not the 870-210. 

The graphics card I currently have is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB) card. Apparently, I already have a NVIDIA brand card in my machine. So probably best to stick with a card that uses NVIDIA so swapping out the graphics card will be fairly simple, wouldn't you think? 

Any suggestions on a graphics card that is comparable to one I currently have or even better? I'm totally down with upgrading to a better graphics card as long as the machine can handle it. 

HP Recommended

Just to be sure of the model number, with the PC off, press the power button and immediately spam the F1 key repeatedly until the Info menu opens (before Windows boots). It will give you the Product Number. Let me know what the number is.

HP Recommended

Okay, I'll do that when I get home, but I'm pretty certain it's an Omen 870-241 and not the 870-210 like I originally thought. I checked my Amazon order from a couple of years ago, and it definitely says 870-241.

Also, to double check, I looked up images from the back side of the 870-210 compared to the 870-241, and mine is definitely the 870-241 because I know for a fact my graphics card has 3 DP ports on it because I tested the monitor out on every single one. The graphics card on the 870-210 model says it has only one (1) DP port on the graphics card, and mine definitely has three (3). 

Apologies for my initial error. I had looked at the Amazon order before I made the first post here on HP Community, but I had not looked at the order detail, which I did this time noticing that the model number was 870-241 which prompted me to look up images so I could compare the two models because I had looked at several images of the back side of the 870-210 yesterday and kept wondering why I had many more ports on my unit than the 870-210 image had. Now I know I had the wrong model number, and reviewing the order detail from my Amazon order confirmed that.

Sorry about that. I now do remembering purchasing the upgraded version of this Omen series now because I wanted a system with more RAM, a better graphics card, and also the separate SSD 256GB and 1TB hard drives.

HP Recommended

If you have the 241, thats even better that the other. It has an i7 7700 which is much better than an i3. LOL

If its the GTX 1060, you can still replace it with another one. But at this point, I would recommend an RTX 2060 or 2070.

Go with what ever you can afford (1060 on up). The NVIDIA brand means its Intel based and NVIDIA designed chipset. AMD is AMD based and AMDs own chipset design.

The brand of manufacturer like EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, etc is the card manufacture that uses the NVIDIA base setup.

The brand of manufacturer is really not that important now days. Go with what specs and price you like from the various MFGs.

Make sure you find what Power supply that MFG recommends when hunting cards, so you know if you have enough power in yours.

HP Recommended

Okay, cool. It definitely does have the Intel i7 processor. I do remember that as well. One of the other reasons I went with the 870-241 instead of the 870-210. It's all coming back to me now. haha. Thanks so much for your help on this problem/issue I'm having. I really do appreciate it.

I've got one last question regarding the power supply comment you made. I looked up the power supply on the specs of the 870-241, and it shows it as "Internal 500 W (100V-240V)". Is that what I would be looking for when researching a new graphics card pertaining to what kind of power the card needs to run? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.