Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

For example, if I see a graphics card that says the Recommended PSU is 500W and the specs on my 870-241 say it has "Internal 500 W (100V-240V)", I should be safe, right? 

I was looking at this graphics card on Amazon. I'm assuming it would work with my machine. I found the specs for it here: 

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2060-GAMING-Z-6G/Specification

MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDRR6 192-bit HDMI/DP Ray Tracing Turing Architecture VR Ready Graphics Card (RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ36Z6L/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IYGSDbY79584X

HP Recommended

I got home and checked my PC, and I definitely have the Omen 870-241. That's good to know for sure now. Pascal-HP-Omen-870-241.PNG

HP Recommended

Perfect! If the new card says it needs a minimum of 500w and since your system already has a 500w, you are golden.

If you went with a higher card, you might have to bump up the power supply also.

One other thing to take into account... You need to measure the available space inside the tower and make sure it has enough space for the length of the new card.

I assume you are good to go, but didn't know if the existing 1060 was a mini card or not.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! Appreciate your help. 

Below are the specs from the NVIDA graphics card I have on my machine. Not sure of the regular size of a graphics card. Says mine is 4.4in x 6.8in. Do you know if that's a mini or not?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB)

• Form Factor: ATX (full height) PCB with ATX dual slot bracket
  • Dimensions: 11.2 cm x 17.3 cm (4.4 x 6.8 in)
  • Rear I/O connectors: Dual Link DVI-D + HDMI + 3 DisplayPort
  • Maximum resolution:
    • DVI (dual-link) resolution: 2560x1600x32bpp @ 60 Hz
    • HDMI resolution: 4096x2160x24 bpp @ 60 Hz (HDMI 2.0)
    • DisplayPort resolution: 5120x3200x24bpp @ 60 Hz / 7680x4320 @ 60 Hz YUV 420 8 bit
      NOTE: 
      Not all ports support the highest resolutions.
  • Memory size: 3 GB (192-bit)
  • Memory type: 128Mx32 GDDR5 @ 6 pcs
  • Total power consumption: 120 W
  • Supports up to four displays at the same time.
  • Engine clock: 1506 MHz (Base) / 1708 MHz (Boost)
  • Memory clock: 4004 MHz (8 Gbps)
  • Cooling: Active fan-sink with 4 pin fan control
  • External power cable: One 2x3 (6 pin)
  • DirectX: DX 12
  • PCIe: PCIex16 Gen 3
HP Recommended

Thats a mini. But take a tape measure and measure from the back of where the existing card is, to where the space ends on the other side. You might still have enough space.

If the mini already barely fits the space now, you would have to go with a 2060 mini.

HP Recommended

Okay, cool. Thanks for letting me know as I had no idea. I can see the card I found on Amazon is 9.7 inches compared to the one I currently have. I'll open it up and measure the space. Hopefully it's big enough to fit it. I'm sure it probably is since they advertised it as a gaming computer. I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help! Your expertise has been great/helpful! 

HP Recommended

Hey there, I opened up my HP Omen desktop, and it does look like it could fit a regular non-mini size graphics card. There is plenty of space at the end of the mini graphics card I currently have. 

Also discovered I have two empty additional RAM slots that I had forgotten were there. Could have bumped my RAM up a couple of years ago but totally forgot about it until just now. So found out two awesome things from opening it up, which I used to do on a more regular basis to dust it out, if necessary, but guess I've been that busy the past few years working full-time and going to school. Thanks for the suggestion! And the reminder to do that more often. haha. It definitely needed a dusting this time for sure. 

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Good to hear. Ya if you have 16GB memory already, you are at the sweet spot for a gamer. The only reason you would need to bump that up is if you were doing heavy rendering like working with programs for creating large graphics or heavy video creation, etc. etc

Keep that dust cleared out and you're on your way.

Glad I could help. Have fun and let us know if you have other issues.

Good luck.  😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.