VIcoDrive
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen 870-224, Cant get 2nd monitor to work

HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Omen 870-224 with my primary monitor connected to HDMI and a second older VGA monitor with a DVI adapter connected to the DVI port.  No matter what I do, I cant get this second montor to work.  When I bring up the display settings, it will not even detect the second monitor.  Ive looked everywhere and cant find any answers that can get me working.  This has never worked since I bought this computer about a year ago.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Level 19
Level 19
79,891 79,786 9,888 21,346
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VIcoDrive

Your machine should have the following usable ports at it back

Rear I/O connectors: Dual Link DVI-D + HDMI + 3 DisplayPort

Other ports are from its motherboard, they are disable.

I don't know what is your DVI to VGA adapter but I know for sure the following adapter works

dvi-vga.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
VIcoDrive
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, that is the adapter I am using which I know works.  Those are also the same ports I have on the back along with 2 other HDMI ports which dont do anything.  So yeah, this is where Im stuck and I have never been able to get a second screen to work with this computer

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So If I am reading this correctly, you have a VGA monitor and you are trying to connect it to a GTX 1060 that uses a DVI-D connector, right?

And to confirm, according to your specs page these are the ports on that video card...

dvi-d connector.JPG

If this is correct, you cannot connect that card to a VGA monitor.

DVI-D is digital only. VGA is analog only. Your port would have to be DVI-A to be able to convert properly with an adapter unless you also connected a convertor box with it.

DVI-A.jpg

DVI-D.jpg

Your video card ports with DVI-D...

nvidia-geforce-gtx-1063-3.jpg

0 Kudos
VIcoDrive
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correct, the back of the computer and the adapter is a DVI-D.  So you are saying that even with an adapter, it still isnt going to work?  Im sure Ive done this before.  Why would there even be VGA/DVI-D adapters if its not going to work anyway?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you are saying that even with an adapter, it still isnt going to work? 

That is correct. That video card cannot connect to a VGA monitor because it cannot produce an Analog signal.

If you found a DVI-D to VGA adapter (which is very strange and also useless) it will not work.

You would have to have a converter box to connect to first, that converts the digital signal to analog. An adapter does not convert anything, it only reroutes the connection.

The fact that you haven't been able to do this, no matter what you've tried should tell you something.

There should be no driver or special adjustments to make, to connect a monitor. You just plug it in and it works or it doesn't.

Personally - I would rather buy another monitor rather than mess with a converter box. Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should mention that you wont find many new PCs now days that can connect to VGA anymore. Even new laptops dropped the VGA port and use HDMI (digital output only). VGA is old technology thats on its way out (or already obsolete if you will).

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation