Sluzzy
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen 870-224 Omen Control isues

Hp Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't seem to get the Omen Control to keep the setting I choose for lighting options on the tower itself.  All of the research I have done comes up with a different Omen Control than I have all together.  Am I running an older version of the software and is that why it won't save?  Attatched is a picture of what my Omen Control looks like. omen control pic.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,375 22,331 1,879 2,994
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sluzzy

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand there are issues within the Omen controller,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you get the omen software along with the device? if no, then it will not work as your device isn't designed for light changes.

When was the last time it worked? did you try a system restore?

Have you attempted download other versions of the software if you accidentally removed the one that came with the pc?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to download:

System Event Utility:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71716.exe

Omen Control:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70894.exe

However, if they work, use the below link to know how to make necessary changes to the application:

Click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Sluzzy
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed the System Event Utility, then downloaded the Hp Omen control from the two links provided. After finishing the downloads, I got a desktop icon for the HP Omen Control, which definitely looked different from the one I had before.  Went to launch the program and it threw an error code HPOMENCONT.exe - System Error. "The code execution cannot proceed because SynCom.DLL was not found.  Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."  Tried a couple times and no dice.  Should I try uninstalling my current HP Omen Control and attempt downloading the new one? 

Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
VintageDeuce
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Syncom.dll is a file required by touchpad controllers on HP laptops.  You have the wrong version of Omen Control, you downloaded the laptop version which will not run on HP Desktops.  

My experience is that there is no version of Omen Control that will run on an 870-224.  Even though HP's marketing material says it does, I think that was just copied from Omen X and Omen laptop material, and us lower level Omen owners are stuck with one color, all the time, that you can't turn off through software.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

VintageDeuce

0 Kudos
Sluzzy
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a friend with the exact same Omen desktop, and for some reason his HP omen control actually works and let’s him control the colors. Is there any other fix around this ?
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation