Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk 875-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay. I recently got this PC and its run well for the first four days I used it, besides its stupidly high temps that I guess HP deemed alright, but recently I have had issues with crashing. Any game runs the GPU/CPU into the 80 degree celsius range + and this just seems wrong. Today I have had a total of one crash, and four restarts where it just reloads/restarts my computer and forces me to sign back into everything. I contacted HP support but they literally said it was fine and that nothing was wrong, and that 80 degree temps are fine for a card with a max temp of 88, but clearly something is. I do not know what the issue is and I really need help. A game I am trying to play for example is rust, and the computer ends up restarting around 5 minutes after I load in. I have only had this issue today so far.

I7-8700

RTX 2080

16gig hyperx 2666mhz ram

Some motherboard hp makes and thinks is great (one fan connector, really?). 

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

image.jpg

It’s officially decided it’s time to break.

HP Recommended

@Aidan3

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I added a Corsair cooler (H60) and it made a big difference.  I'm now trying to find the dims for the rear fan so I can upgrade to a more efficient one

HP Recommended

What was the message? I am also experiencing a major overheating issue with my new omen. It hits the high 80s Celcius  and completely shuts off. HP also told me its normal when clearly they have cut it too close on heat with this build. Should just return it? 

HP Recommended

I got a new one from bestbuy, thank god it was within the 30 day return policy.. I am still suffering overheating issues. My GPU is fine though, but since HP doesn't allow you to adjust fan case settings (to my knowledge and from what I have looked up) and intel stock coolers are stupidly bad I had to download an ASUS GPU manager to boost the fan speed as the auto temp settings does not work. HP support told me the same thing and then my PC broke, so yeah.. They also don't know what they are talking about on heat for the 2080. They were telling me 90-100 degrees celsius, but Nividias max is 88? HP support is VERY slow. I know this is their forum but the customer support hotline had me through 5 different representatives telling me nothing was wrong and that I had nothing to worry about (as I explained literal artifacting and crashing happening while on the line). I am again suffering crashes and freezes which should not be happening on my system, especially a $2000 one. But this time I think it MUST be the CPU. My graphics card only runs high 60s now due to the fan speed change and my CPU has gotten up past 86 degrees celsius.

HP Recommended

Another message here, this is supposed to be a 'VERY UPGRADEABLE CASE BUILD', but it is limited to TWO ram slots, ONE CASE FAN, and one liquid coolor (must add yourself). I'm still having issues, but when it does run games it is a powerhouse. Overheating is such a bad problem with this case I don't know how it got through testing. Temperatures at the levels this case gets too is way too hot for constant usage and is pushing the maxmimum temperature which should not be happening. I'm basically ranting here but it is imperative you change your GPU fan speeds as soon as possible or your PC will die. As I said before, I had to return this PC to best buy due to the lack of any even offer of help or return to look at the PC (Even though you supposedly get 1 year manufacturers warrenty and parts warrenty). I'm probably going to have to return my current rig soon as well, I am still getting crashes from random games, overheating issues, and other issues overall. Idk what I am going to do if I have to return this as best buy doesn't sell this tower anymore.

HP Recommended

I've had luck swapping the rear exhaust fan for a Noctua nf-a9 (92mm) which came with both a Y adapter and an extension cord. This will allow you to add an additional case fan off the single lead. Also, you can run a standard case fan off the liquid cooling lead. This should all help with temps, in addition to modding the GPU fan settings as you already did.

Right now, I have a 120mm case sitting on the bottom of the case blowing at the GPU, which is less than optimal because there are no fan screws, but it's a decent temporary solution.

HP Recommended

What about the top? Couldnt you remove the bracket that is solid, or remove it, cut a hole in it and mount the fab. It has holes that line up with a 120mm fan just doesnt have an airway. If you remove it you lose the holes but gain regular air flow. Unless that is to try and direct air thru the case being solid.  I figure if you use the 120mm fan in the liquid cooling plug and mount it to the modified bracket (not solid) it should help. I'm a noob to computers so I dont know if it is there for another reasoning but seems good if you just want a fan.

HP Recommended

That would work, too. Not sure why they didn't make the fan mount on the top with some slots for airway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.