Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just received the same build machine last week.  It has the exact same issue; graphic card is stepped down to PCIe x8 and not the normal x16 for a single GPU.   I removed a GEFORCE GTX 750 TI from a PC that is operating at PCIe x16 and swapped out the GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI from the Omen 880-160se. The 750 TI also went down to PCIe x8. Hope this helps narrow things down.  My hunch is that they created the first version of the BIOS configured for dual GPU's.  HP needs to issue a BIOS update to fix this bug or I will be returning my machine.

HP Recommended

@Marc_L_NY wrote:

I just received the same build machine last week.  It has the exact same issue; graphic card is stepped down to PCIe x8 and not the normal x16 for a single GPU.   I removed a GEFORCE GTX 750 TI from a PC that is operating at PCIe x16 and swapped out the GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI from the Omen 880-160se. The 750 TI also went down to PCIe x8. Hope this helps narrow things down.  My hunch is that they created the first version of the BIOS configured for dual GPU's.  HP needs to issue a BIOS update to fix this bug or I will be returning my machine.

Thank you so much for commenting on this! Glad to see I am now not the only one with this issue. Can you call the Omen team and report your findings as well? The more complaints the more we might get some where and HP can clear the air. When I called they said they had never heard of this problem before. Here is the number directly to the Omen team [edit]

P.S.

Have you done any overclocking with that 8700k through the Omen Command Center? 

HP Recommended

Hi FGW

This How-To Geek article provides more detail on why your new PC should be running one graphics card at x16. You should be no where near maxing out the number of PCIe lanes available for moving data.

Tom

HP Recommended

I called this morning and they do not have a resolution or eta.  I would suggest you continue to call and reference your case#.  I’m returning my Omen 880-160se because of this PCIe x8 defect.  If they fix the bug soon, I would consider repurchasing it.

HP Recommended

@Marc_L_NY wrote:

I called this morning and they do not have a resolution or eta.  I would suggest you continue to call and reference your case#.  I’m returning my Omen 880-160se because of this PCIe x8 defect.  If they fix the bug soon, I would consider repurchasing it.

I am still in my return period until the 9th. I am thinking about returning it as well because of this as much as I like the pc. 

HP Recommended

@Marc_L_NY wrote:

May I ask who you spoke to on the Omen team? I got the same person from last week I spoke with named Zack. I mentioned this post you made and he done some digging for me as well asking about this a few days ago.

The response I got was its a PCIe limitation and motherboard limitation. I am leaning towards a motherboard limitation in and of itself. Said the performance difference is about 1% or so from x16. Fair enough and I did know about that.

BUT I mentioned as time goes by especially with Nvidia's next gen gpu's coming soon this year. What if it poses a problem speed wise as gpu's are only going to get faster. 

HP Recommended

I don't recall his name but Zach sounds familiar, he was level 1 support.  I shipped mine back for a full refund. It’s unacceptable that HP QA did not find this PCIe x8 defect prior to the Omen 880-160se release. You shouldn’t have to rationalize the performance variance from a defect. HP should compensate us for beta testing their product.  

HP Recommended

You might want to check the part number on the GTX 1080TI. There are two HP OEM versions: one is for SLI.  It shouldn't make a difference except perhaps for the SLI bridge provisioning but you never know.  Trying the GTX 1080TI in another PC might confirm where the issue resides. It might be the BIOS and it could also be the GTX 1080TI.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Davewrote:

You might want to check the part number on the GTX 1080TI. There are two HP OEM versions: one is for SLI.  It shouldn't make a difference except perhaps for the SLI bridge provisioning but you never know.  Trying the GTX 1080TI in another PC might confirm where the issue resides. It might be the BIOS and it could also be the GTX 1080TI.

Marc_L_NY confirmed its from lane sharing or board limitation. Did you miss his post? He put in a card that he knows runs at x16 and when it was put into this Omen. It ran at x8. 

HP Recommended

@FattysGoneWild

Yes I read his post but that doesn't eliminate the GTX 1080TI from being fixed at x8 hence the suggestion to test the card in another PC.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.