Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Cost savings?  Come on,  this is their Omen line.  Its supposed to be their high end gaming line.  I can see them doing this on the regular HP's but not on the gaming systems.

per my previous post they said this can't be fixed with a bios update.   And FYI, I was in contact at the Executive level when I was told this.   Take that with info and do with it what you'd like.   Either way mine is going back.

HP Recommended

Hi Howie

I am not trying to convince you to keep your system or return your system for a refund.

All I am saying is it does not make any sense to deliberately modify the hardware for the purpose of degrading graphics performance.

HP, Alienware, and possibly other OEMs would have to be doing this at the hardware level if (as an HP executive stated) it is not possible to fix this with a BIOS microcode update.

I can't understand why any MB or PC system builder OEM would do this.

Tom

HP Recommended

I'm curious how high up we're talking with this "executive level" employee that said a BIOS update is not possible to fix this?  In my experience, you go sufficiently high up the executive level chain and you're going to find people who have extremely limited technical knowledge on things like this.  I would not expect most executives to have a clue about this kind of technical detail.  You probably need somebody specifically in engineering to be able to confidently answer this question.

HP Recommended

My initial email went to the President of HP of America's who in turn responded they were looking into it and had forwarded my email to the two folks in charge of the customer service departments of North America, who in turned forwarded it to the Exectuvie Esclations Mangers of North America.    

This is who explained to me he was in contact with the Omen team.  And what their engineering team had to say.

HP Recommended

Just my two-pence: Very troubling, but unfortuately also entirely within expectations outcome.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Remove the graphics card and inspect the PCIe x16 slot.  Look carefully at the metallic slot pins. Do they only extend half way the length on the slot? If yes, then it's an x8 PCIe connector.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hello! The slot has a contacts only for 8 lines. Other lines is emptyIMAG0227~2.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

That solves the issue.

You have an x8 slot being used where an x16 slot should have been used.

No BIOS update can fix this.

Tom

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

HP NEEDS TO RECALL THESE DESTOPS ASAP!  FALSE ADVERTISING!  DEFECTIVE TAMPA2 MOTHERBOARD! SAYS x16 WIRED FOR x8!

880-160seMB.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.