Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
880-172NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Recently I've replaced the Asetek default gen 5 pump AIO that came with the unit as it was crackling (tried to clear the air bubble but didn't work). I've connected instead a EVGA CLC 120MM AIO.
Same pump placement and same fan placement on the motherboard's headers. However this one comes with a spliter cable so that the fans can be powered by the pump header (Which could also controll RPM / Liquid temp via software). And here starts my first question : Can that port take an extra fan ( or 2 ) besides the pump ?
Secondly what's the max amperage for the fan headers ? I called HP Premium Customer Support and  after 2 days of wait time to "ask the engineers" they said it's 1 amp per header and they're all the same...even if I was very sceptical as the default fan for the HP's AIO is a 2.5A fan (40mm wide) and it's loud as hell. 
So basically the CPU header is 2.5A, what about the rest? 
Basically I'm thinking of doing a G12 mod on my 1080TI that came with the unit and here the representatives, when I asked them about the GPU's fan header, was told it's a 2A 5V header...which seems impossible as a replacement fan from Ebay is 3.1A @ 12V ...so basically HP's "engineers" are either Google, or a bunch of know-nothings.
I want to install the NZXT G12 on my GPU and I'd have to plug the pump in to the CPU header (Or change my HP 750w Platinum PSU for a normal PSU THAT HAS A MOLEX !!! Can't believe there's 0 molex connections in this PSU)
So solution would be to also change the PSU , connect pump to PSU and AIO fans to GPU via splitter ( I'm going to use 2x Noctua slim 120mm fans) which should make everything more silent and far better.

But then again, why is there no such information available on Tampa's description site ? Tampa being the motherboard model... https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05811928
This is almost useless as it gives no actual technical knowledge about amperage/voltage of any headers. Gives no information about the VRM configuration either.

Not to mention that this config has the CPU socket SCREWED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD BACKPLATE !!! How stupid is that ? I wanted to replace the AIO firstly with a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4, which would fit...but there's no way to remove the backplate without disposing of the CPU socket.
All in all , I love the case because of it's front IO and easy swappable bays, even if the cooling is horrible (So much wasted space on top when we could've had vents with fan slots, and more vents to pull fresh air from under the SSD caddys. 
I have 2x 1TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSDs installed in the caddys and honestly this build is great, if the motherboard's BIOS wouldn't have been rubbish. AKA from 1986. I mean there's no way of modifying fan header speeds, none of them are PWM, no built in Overclocking support, or memory tunning (tighter timings), no XMP support (Even if I got 32GB of 2667 MHz RAM).

I honestly don't believe the Omen "Gaming" is anything than a PC designed for kids/casuals who don't know or want to know how to do anything about it other than turn it on and play some games. Which is stupid in it's default configuration as the GPU never goes over 50% fan speed unless you change it in MSI Afterburner, so basically it would be a hot oven with just a 120mm intake and the AIO as a means of expelling the hot air out (and the blower GPU).

I'm looking for some answers but I'd appreciate if this thread could influence someone in HP to understand that some of us buy their products because Omen means something, and we like the design, but the features...wow do they need some hard work.

Thank you all and have a great day.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Daitengu,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with this motherboard. I have an HP Omen 880-135nd and I want to upgrade my i5-8400 to an i7-8700k or i7-9700k. I know I have to buy a better CPU cooler for these processors but the big problem is that I can't anything anywhere about which CPU cooler is compatible with this motherboard and also fits in my chassis. As you said, the Tampa descriptions site offers absolutely no information about which CPU coolers are compatible. Did you have any luck so far finding one? Because I've been searching for days. Some advice would be very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi man,

As long as u stick with gen 4-6 from Asetek that has round pump block combo u should be fine, like H80iv2 would be the most powerful 120mm aio you can fit.

No air cooler, no other type of aio, as the backplate also holds the cpu socket so you can't remove it unless you remove it and go for full delid, liquid metal and direct die contact cooling, but that's not worth for 8700k.

My opinion stay with your i5 and just buy a different pc later. Not worth upgrading as no space for 240mm aio or higher, also mobo is low spec and can't fit other motherboard in chassy as the io shield is sculpted from case.

Sorry man. Thank HP engineering for one use desktops

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice man. Is it maybe a good idea to just buy a better microATX Z370 motherboard that is compatible with the high-end CPU coolers? I mean what are you going to do? buy a new PC, or are you satisfied with your current build? 

HP Recommended

Hi Said,

As I previously said, you won't be able to fit a different motherboard, as the back IO shield is built into the case (Ports won't match, won't fit on the standoffs)

I'm relatively satisfied, as my build has a 8700k and 1080ti, so yea ...not much room to upgrade anyway, other than temperature and noise levels.

I'd say go ahead and put your machine for sale, and build your own if you want to have upgradeability. If the CPU is  not a concern, you can always just replace the GPU for something more powerful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.