Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking at upgrading the CPU in my HP Omen from an i5-7400 to something else. There are some people debating in this post from a few years ago whether or not the K version of the i7-7700 will work in the motherboard. It looks like the motherboard itself can draw up to the required 91 watts of power, but I haven't seen anyone say a definitive yes or no and I don't want to risk frying my whole computer.

There's also the matter of cooling. It sounds like upgrading to a 91 watt CPU, if possible in the first place, will warrant a better cooling than the default. Someone in the original thread recommended a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, but again I haven't seen a definitive answer other than a few comments that it may be hard to fit in the tower.

It's not the end of the world if the best I can do is the 7700 without the K, I'd just like to figure this out before spending money.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @dragonitespam 

I've dealt with this question several years ago. There was another user who tried the K version on the Odense2 motherboard and it did not work. Even though the specs show the motherboard will handle 95w but the list only shows 65w cpu's.

Its either a limitation of the motherboard TDP that was inaccurately posted, or a bios limit. I would suggest you stick with the non K version.

The heat sink that's currently installed will work for the upgrade as its rated at 95w.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @dragonitespam 

I've dealt with this question several years ago. There was another user who tried the K version on the Odense2 motherboard and it did not work. Even though the specs show the motherboard will handle 95w but the list only shows 65w cpu's.

Its either a limitation of the motherboard TDP that was inaccurately posted, or a bios limit. I would suggest you stick with the non K version.

The heat sink that's currently installed will work for the upgrade as its rated at 95w.

HP Recommended

That's too bad. The non-K version should be plenty of an upgrade so I'll run with that, thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.