Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys

I need a little advice on what I'm trying to achieve. 

So I got my HP Omen Desktop with a 1TB HDD, and I also bought a Samsung 860EVO SSD. 
The internal hard drive bay has 2 SATA Power Cables but only 1 SATA Data cable (currently supplying the HDD)

I want to put the HDD into the external slide-out slots on the front of the PC, and I want to slip my SSD into the internal Hard Drive Bay (to make it my primary hard drive)

What is the best way to do this, from a software perspective?

The SSD is completely clean so I was thinking I would have to...
1) Put the SSD into the external slot ***
2) Migrate all Windows files over to the SSD
3) Swap the hard drives (SSD into internal HD Bay, HDD into external HD Bay)

*** I am not even sure if I can do this. There is a SATA connector but the bracket in the external HD bay does not have a place to set my 2.5in. I was thinking I would just try to fit the SSD into the SATA connector just long enough to transfer files.

Anyone have any better ideas? 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

As long as the ssd is connect it doesnt matter were its install as long as its installed corrctly. I believe your windows key is tied to the motherboard so making a windows 10 iso would be your best option 

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
HP Recommended

I have Win10 installation media on a USB

I'm not 100% sure if this would work, but could I launch my BIOS, and go into that USB, and install Win10 on my SSD from there? 

HP Recommended

Honestly there is a few options but i will finish explaining the one i started. first i would disconnect the HDD then plug the usb iso in then just boot up and let it does its thing.

I think cloning you hdd to the ssd is anoth option but im not sure if that will be successful 

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
HP Recommended

If it's possible to simply migrate the Windows files from HDD to SDD, I would prefer that. 

I just have some large programs on my HDD now that I dont want to redownload. 

HP Recommended

I have used this https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.