Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk 875-0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my computer for about a month now and that is not a long time. This week it started to crash my games whenever I tried to play them. I have looked through other forums and others have had the same issue. I have tried to reach support from HP themselves but I have had no luck so far. My GPU is getting temperatures in the 80 degrees Celcius and in one game even reached up to 91. I have been trying to calculate these temperatures with MSI Afterburner while running the games. This eventually crashes along with the game and sometimes my computer. In some cases, it will put random particles going around the screen that are not apart of the game. I tried to take it to best buy for help but they said that I have already done everything they would have done. I need help with this because this is an extremely good pc and I should not be having these problems especially this early on. I also ran GPU stress tests in FurMark and it would crash on the 1080p benchmark and in some cases, it would crash on the 720p. It would be great if anyone could help. Please and Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I am currently on live chat with the support team for something very similar. My games started crashing last night mid play. Then this morning I woke up and my computer was artifacting. I've tried driver uninstall and reinstalls. Restarts. Restoring to a previous save. But I bought this PC on Dec. 31. I haven't done any over clocking, or any mods to it. Just out of the box. 

All my research is pointing to the GPU being the problem. But as it's a prebuilt, NVIDIA doesn't cover the replacement. I have to go through HP for it. 

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Obelisk seems to be prone to thermal problems.

Most Desktop PCs have three big heat makers; GPU, CPU, and the VRMs all packed into one small area.

Your PC may not be moving enough hot air from within the chassis to the outside environment.

How many chassis fans does this PC have?

Do you have an AIO liquid cooling system on the CPU? I can't tell because 875-0000 is a lot of different products made by HP. The (k) processors usually have a liquid cooled option for the CPU.

What GPU do you have? HP modifies the more powerful GPUs such as the 1080 or 1080 Ti installed in some PCs to require less powerful power supplies. So a retail equivalent GPU may require a higher wattage PSU. I am bringing this up because a retail GPU equivalent would generate more heat when compared to the GPU you may have installed in your PC now.

I seem to remember you may have space for an additional chassis fan but there may be no open fan headers on the motherboard.

It is possible to buy a chassis fan hub at Amazon or Newegg to add support for powering additional motherboard fans. This option may help if you can add fans to the chassis.

Regards

HP Recommended

I'm guessing you're having issues with the RTX 2080, assuming yours has it. I dug around in mine a couple of weeks ago hoping to throw a lower case fan in because I'm getting up to 85C temps on my GPU. For whatever reason, there's no room for an intake fan in front or bottom, only on the top of the case, and you'd have to use the power lead marked for water pump. I like the system a lot, but I'm not at all impressed with the case cooling, especially the pitiful CPU cooler. 

HP Recommended

yeh i had the smae problem but it was with my cpu with a idle temp of about 54 degrees and i dont know how to fix it and i dont want to spend money money as this is my first day with it

HP Recommended

54 idle seems excessive even for this setup. Does the computer have good external ventilation (ie: it's not in a cabinet or other enclosed environment)? If so, that might be improperly applied thermal compound or something similar. Others can chime in, but I'm pretty sure I get in the 60s under load, and in the 30s idle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.