Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk Model GT12-0167c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I currently have an HP Omen Obelisk Model  GT12-0167c. I mostly play Elder Scrolls Online. While running on high video settings, my CPU was getting from 79C-84C. I moved it down to medium setting and still run  lower 80C.I worry about these high temperatures and I'm looking into getting liquid cooled fans to help cool down my PC. Is this normal for the CPU to run so hot? Is switching is liquid cooled AIO the right choice or is there something wrong with my PC making it get so hot? Any help would be appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Simplex17

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the Obelisk has one of the worst ventilations on any case, almost no intake, or its all done passively (just fans pulling the air out), that's why HP replaced that design with Omen 30L. Not much you can do other than upgrading the cooling solution, and fans or migrate all the internals to a new case all together. 

HP Recommended

The computer may still be under warranty, this solution is not the best!
The user may no longer be able to assert the warranty in the event of a problem following these changes.
In addition it is not up to the user to 'repair' a defect if there is, during the warranty
If the recommendation of the expert HP, does not give anything, the best will be to assert these rights

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

This is not a defect, this is an engineering error, everyone that knows even a little bit abut thermal transfer or even is a bit familiar with computer cases will tell you that. Considering the fact that HP somewhat fixed this horrible design by coming out with the Omen 30L tells you everything, you can't have an adequate cooling with no forced intake air, especially when the case is that small or has almost not intake perforations. 

The script answers with cleaning the dust and resetting the PC are not helping anyone, people are only getting more frustrated and starting to resent the company!

If the user has a valid warranty, they don't have much of an option, especially if they are past the return period, how is HP going to address a warranty claim on a bad design, unless a component completely fails due to higher temperature, caused by a bad design...It becomes a redundant circle of claims, emails and phone calls. HP needs to understand that the average consumer doesn't have the time to waste with claims that could have been prevented with an adequate and not expensive cooling design.

HP Recommended

No need to play with words, it is a flaw no matter what!
You tell the user to modify in part, or his computer completely, that's ok, that can be a solution, I'm not saying the opposite
What I am saying is that we must specify to this user, that if he does this, hp will no longer take charge of the computer at all, if he has a problem!
Also, I don't see why the user should spend any more money, for a computer he bought and which may still be under warranty!
Sorry, I do not know the laws in your area, but here in Europe the user has a right of two years, if the computer is not compliant, the user should check it out. is in his country / region

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yeah unfortunately in USA we don't have the nice 2 years protection that you guys have in EU, here if you are past the return point, which is normally 30 days, sometimes even less, you are out of luck. For the remaining 11 months of warranty, you are crossing fingers and hoping for nothing to fail, otherwise the process if claims is long, unpleasant and exhausting. 

Any hardware modifications are of course not covered by warranty and they are stated in every warranty card, so normally all consumers should be aware of that and do it on their own risk, if they are planning to use that warranty at some point.

Anyway, bottom line is I hope that HP hires some design engineers that know what they are doing and the next versions of Omen address a lot of the current issues, it will only help the company in a long run. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.