Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-160se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have an HP OMEN 880-160se with a 1tb HDD for storage. I have just acquired a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD to add to my pc. I have never installed an SSD before, so what do I need. I know I need a power cable and a SATA cable to install my SSD. Where can I get a good power and SATA cable? 

Also, if I want to only move my OS over to the SSD, but keep my other files on the HDD, what steps do I need to take? I have used up under 500GB of storage under my 1tb HDD if that is at all helpful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You can do this upgrade. It is a fairly complex task.

You should have two to three daisy chained SATA HDD/SSD PSU connectors available where the drive cage is located. It looks like you have four SATA ports on the MB. You need a SATA 3 cable to connect the SSD to a MB SATA port. You are going to use the port where the 1 TB HHD is connected after you do the disk copy/clone.

I will direct you to the HP Services Media Library for details on installing a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in your PC (Link). This link may expire. You may have to drill down to the Omen 880-p100 desktop series for "Service Procedures".

You will have to move all data off of the 1 TB HDD. I would hope most of the bytes on your existing disk are data. If this is not true you may have to uninstall programs.

The above thoughts should give insight to solve the hardware side of the problem.

Now, on to moving the operating system.

I have been copying operating systems from HDDs to SATA SSDs or 2.5 inch SATA SSDs to M.2 NVME drives for years.

I recommend Macrium Reflect free (Link).

Providing detailed instructions on using Macrium is outside the scope of this forum. I suggest you look at the Macrium Knowledge Base or the Macrium Forums.

You can migrate the operating system with either an offline operating system image and bootable USB rescue media or use the Macrium clone/copy function.

You can connect the new SSD internally or get a SATA to USB adapter. You connect the SSD to the adapter. Then plug the adapter into a USB 3.0 port on your PC.

You must reduce the amount of bytes on the current 1 TB HDD or you may have storage issues when moving/copying the operating system from the HDD to the SATA drive.

You will then have to boot to the SATA  SSD drive.

Go to Disk Management. You can set the HDD as a data drive only after you have backed up all data on this drive. Failure to back up data will make for a really bad day.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You can do this upgrade. It is a fairly complex task.

You should have two to three daisy chained SATA HDD/SSD PSU connectors available where the drive cage is located. It looks like you have four SATA ports on the MB. You need a SATA 3 cable to connect the SSD to a MB SATA port. You are going to use the port where the 1 TB HHD is connected after you do the disk copy/clone.

I will direct you to the HP Services Media Library for details on installing a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in your PC (Link). This link may expire. You may have to drill down to the Omen 880-p100 desktop series for "Service Procedures".

You will have to move all data off of the 1 TB HDD. I would hope most of the bytes on your existing disk are data. If this is not true you may have to uninstall programs.

The above thoughts should give insight to solve the hardware side of the problem.

Now, on to moving the operating system.

I have been copying operating systems from HDDs to SATA SSDs or 2.5 inch SATA SSDs to M.2 NVME drives for years.

I recommend Macrium Reflect free (Link).

Providing detailed instructions on using Macrium is outside the scope of this forum. I suggest you look at the Macrium Knowledge Base or the Macrium Forums.

You can migrate the operating system with either an offline operating system image and bootable USB rescue media or use the Macrium clone/copy function.

You can connect the new SSD internally or get a SATA to USB adapter. You connect the SSD to the adapter. Then plug the adapter into a USB 3.0 port on your PC.

You must reduce the amount of bytes on the current 1 TB HDD or you may have storage issues when moving/copying the operating system from the HDD to the SATA drive.

You will then have to boot to the SATA  SSD drive.

Go to Disk Management. You can set the HDD as a data drive only after you have backed up all data on this drive. Failure to back up data will make for a really bad day.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.