Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Starting last night, whenever I open up any game I can play it for about ten minutes before the fans in my computer start making a lot of noise, and then my computer shuts off. Looking at the command center, it shows that the internal temperature for my gpu and cpu are about 100 degrees fahrenheit on startup, and they both jump to around 110 degrees when I start up any game. I bought this computer for gaming, so it's quite frustrating that it hasn't been able to handle games lately.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@CatCrackerz , welcome back to the forum.

What is the full model or product number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. Here is a guide to help you find it:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

This is the product number for my computer:  2HJ77AA#ABA

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @CatCrackerz!

The symptoms that you are experiencing are normally cause by dust build-up on the fans and other components.  I suggest that you use compressed canned air to blow the air out of the case.  Here is a guide that will show you what needs to be cleaned inside of the case:  https://www.howtogeek.com/72716/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-dirty-desktop-computer/

There are numerous videos online to help you, also.

I suggest that you don't run your computer until the processor temperatures are reduced considerably.  The maximum temps for your processor is 100C at the core.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I cleaned out the inside of my computer, although there wasn't much dust. I left it alone for a few hours prior to cleaning, and I just started it up again. The temperature for both the gpu and cpu were dancing around the 80-90 degrees fahrenheit range. I was able to play my game for about a minute before the fans went wild and my computer shut off.

HP Recommended

If the temperatures are 80 to 90 Fahrenheit, they are not very high at all.  If they are 80 to 90 Celsius, they are bordering on too high.  The maximum temperature for the processor is 100C and for the video card approximately 88C.  The processor will begin throttling at the 80 to 90C.  This means the fans will begin running much faster.

You say this only happens when gaming.  What games are you playing?

HP Recommended

My cpu and gpu haven't gone above about 150 degrees fahrenheit, although I don't know what they reach right before my system crashes. I've tested this out on Minecraft, Sims 4, and Skyrim, and it's the same story for all of them. I can play for a few minutes max, with everything running smoothly and the fans are barely audible. Then, the fans make a lot of noise and my system shuts off. I can be on chrome just fine, but as I mentioned before, I got this computer for gaming.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster

I just finished performing am extensive system test using the  PC hardware diagnostics. My computer was able to stay on for the entire two hours the test was performed without issue. The test included a cpu stress test, which it passed. I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I reviewed the specifications of your computer again.  It should handle playing the games you mentioned without any problems.  With that said, there is definitely a problem or it wouldn't be overheating.  The 150F equals 65C.  This is not a problem, unless it gets higher just before it crashes.  Random crashes are difficult to monitor.

If you haven't done so, I suggest that you go to each games website to see if there are patches available for them.  The developers don't always keep the games updated and glitches can occur.  If you are playing the games with Steam or other such sites, they normally update their games every time you play.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.