Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi community - I posted about this a while ago but now have more information. A few times per week my new (received 10/2021) Omen 25L desktop becomes totally unresponsive and I have to unplug it to turn it off (holding down the power button for 30 seconds does not turn it off).  It comes back up normally with no problems and works fine until the next time it turns into a zombie. This unresponsive state never happens when I am working on the machine, only when it has been idle for a while.

When I look in the event viewer around the time the system stops responding, I can see "Event 153, disk" event over and over up to the time the event viewer stops posting any events at all until I unplug and restart the system. The event 153 looks like this: "The IO operation at logical block address 0xnnnnnn for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000nnn) was retried." (i put n's in for the numbers in the message). Researching on the internet, Event 153 sounds like it might have to do with the connector between the SATA drive and the computer, but since this computer is still under warranty I don't really want to fool around with the inside of the machine. And honestly I can't be sure that event has anything to do with the system becoming unresponsive. 

Since I received the system new from HP in Oct 2021, I figure all the drivers etc. are up to date. However, I have updated my graphics driver as suggested by HP but still have the problem. In contacting HP again today, the support rep was trying but I didn't get the sense that he had any idea why this was happening. I'm very frustrated and am thinking of seeing if I can return it to HP. 

I'd appreciate any advice for troubleshooting. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Turn off sleep completely for your computer.  This is a known issue and there is another thread on sleep problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.