Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen went away really fast!

Omen 880-020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Seems like the Omen series Desktops were "replaced" by the Obelisk series Desktops rather quickly, so there was little... info... about them that i could research, for example, Can I upgrade certain parts? I can't find a lot of dimensions on my machine, so I am apprehensive about buying pasts for fear of them not being compatable. Case fans? New Cooler? Power Supply? Do I have to simply... measure them. This data is difficult to find online. Any thoughts? Or... should I just scrap it and build my own?

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
10,273 9,630 952 2,790
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen went away really fast!

Seems like the Omen series Desktops were "replaced" by the Obelisk series Desktops rather quickly,

Not exactly. The Omen 880 series is still being built. Its moved on from the 0XX series to the 1XX series. The case is exactly the same for both.

so there was little... info... about them that i could research, for example, Can I upgrade certain parts?

Which parts? Yes you can upgrade certain parts just like you can on the Obelisk. Motherboards can be a little more difficult if you have a model with the proprietary case lighting inside.

Case fans? New Cooler? Power Supply? Do I have to simply... measure them. This data is difficult to find online.

There really isnt anymore information for 875 series than there is for the 880 series actually. HP doesnt post complete and specific specs in most cases. Yes it is always best to physically measure a parts dimensions and compare to those of the new part for compatiblily.  The PSU is full sized ATX. The case fans are not proprietary. Have a look here... https://www.quietpc.com/faq/27

The only problem I have encountered from other users with an Omen using an AMD system is the CPU cooling mount. Its been reported the heatsink mounting holes are not standard. More like Intel dimensions. I have not heard back on any confermation of what works.

should I just scrap it and build my own?

Sounds like your are an enthusiast who likes to tinker. If this is the case, you will want to build your own. HP bio's are very locked down and  motherboards are limited in specs. If you wish to experiement with timings/overclocking or other very specific modifications, an HP (or any other OEM for that matter) is not for you.

Hope that helps put you in the right direction. :Wink:

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation