Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi i need help can i upgrade my GPU from 1 1650S to a 1660S with my 400 W Platinum 80+

my specs are AMD R5 3500X, 1650,S 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) 

and i want my specs to be like the TGO1 -0203in but with more ram like 16gb can my 400w psu do it  because the recommended psu for the 1660,1660s,1660ti all need 450w and the TGO1 -0203in has a 310w and better cpu and gpu then mined so what gives like can i upgrade my gpu with this 400w or should i go with a 500w then upgrade i am lost

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@B00G3YM4N , welcome to the Community.

@B00G3YM4N wrote:

hi i need help can i upgrade my GPU from 1 1650S to a 1660S with my 400 W Platinum 80+

my specs are AMD R5 3500X, 1650,S 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) 

and i want my specs to be like the TGO1 -0203in but with more ram like 16gb can my 400w psu do it  because the recommended psu for the 1660,1660s,1660ti all need 450w and the TGO1 -0203in has a 310w and better cpu and gpu then mined so what gives like can i upgrade my gpu with this 400w or should i go with a 500w then upgrade i am lost

If you are going to upgrade to a GTX 1660 Super (450W), 16 GB of memory and a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, you will have to upgrade your PSU to the 500W (L05757-800) sold by HP.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

then why dose this TGO1 -0203in model come with a 310w psu and has better specs then my pc

HP Recommended

@B00G3YM4N, HP has their motherboards and other components made the their specifications.  They use the motherboards in many different models with different configurations.  They engineer the components to work with the other components in the computer.  They are not necessarily the same as a retail version.

HP Recommended

i saw a YouTube video on a rtx 2060 super in the hp model i have with the 400w ill send u the link and u can check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDge01Wy1s&t=1497s watch that and he is ordering a 500w right now he has the 400w in with the rtx and he upgrade the ram to 3200mhz and rtx 2060 yes the picture don't look like the tgo1 0023x but it is in the video just watch it and let me know what u think you are a expert and i appreciate what you have told me all i am gonna do for now is upgrade the ram and get a bigger hard drive then the 500w and rtx

We will Upgrade the TG01 AMD Version in this Video. I will Put a Better GPU, Memory & Larger SSD In. I will do a Before & After Benchmark to show the Difference in performance & FPS. Why Dual Channel Memory is so important with the newer CPU'S. Why you will need a PSU if the one you have will not
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @B00G3YM4N!

I have watched other videos that he has produced.  His "Mamma Jamma" drives me crazy, but he does a good job.

Now, why don't I recommend the RTX 2060?  Because in smaller cases they can develop too much heat.  Also, if it doesn't work with your 400W PSU, you are upset with HP and me.  I have to go by what the manufactures recommend for their products.  If I am building my own computer, I may take a chance that a component will work, but I don't want you to have to return it.  I still recommend the 500W PSU.  It will give you some extra power for peak needs.

Your plan sounds like a good one.  The additional memory will make a considerable difference in system performance.  Then, when you upgrade the video card it will make even more difference.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

thank you for the help i will stick with my plain then ill just upgrade the ram and storage 1st then get the 500w psu and upgrade to the rtx and a amd r7 in the future i i love what i got now yes it is only 4gb but it plays most games i like at medium to high anyways ty so much old geekster and he is getting a 500w for what he did but de laid so but anyways thanks so much i am gonna go with my brain and not risk it i hope my spec is gonna max it out so if 500w is good for max 32 ddr4 and and r7 3700x and rtx that is my goal it maybe a along goal cuz i saved for this pc but im gonna take it i just got into pc and i love hp builds i been hp ever seance i got my 1st pc also you have any other advice for me on this model i have like can the 500w psu fit in the case i have ? and can i go higher for memory mhz cuz its stock 2666 but max is 3200 can the bios update fix it or what let me know your thoughts on all of that and thanks again

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @B00G3YM4N!

The only other suggestion that I would make is, the Ryzen 7 3700X would be a decent upgrade to your processor.  The 3200 MHz is the fastest memory that you can install.  I believe to get this speed you will have to buy the memory from HP.  There are no other XMP's in the BIOS/UEFI: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp-profiles-and-how-do-i-use-them/

HP has some of the best gaming computers on the market!  You are going with a great company.

HP Recommended

where would i buy the memory from hp site can u send a link plz and i could just get a 1 8gb stick with the same mhz from amazon or newegg or were ever the people that got this and made this work i seen a lot of YouTube reviews and 1 kid added 3200 and configure it so i can just buy it and same with that technitwit dude i think his was 3000 and the motherboard configureit to 2500  or something but i see you don't want me to risk it breaking and thank you for that

HP Recommended

You can go up to RTX 2070 with the stock 400W PSU, these Pavilions are my specialty and done extensive testing on both AMD and Intel based ones, in addition you go to HP's configurator, they have the latest version with the newer CPUs and 2060 Super, which is basically 2070, with the same 400W PSU. So this power supply is very capable and powerful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.