Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there.  I am trying to fix my niece's computer for her but it has a few issues.  She brought it to me complaining about horrible framerate dropping (she was getting 4fps on Borderlands GOTY Edition, for example) so I checked the drivers and then installed the latest "Official Game Ready" Driver from Nvidia for her card (GTX 1060 3GB).  Borderlands shouldn't be stuttering or stalling at all with that card, the i5-7400 and the 8GB of GDDR4 memory she has, but it does.

I installed GTA 5 (a more demanding game) and configured it to the "High" settings and compared it to my rig.  The game played fine for about 5 minutes but then started lagging and dropping FPS.  Things got so bad that when pausing the game to drop the graphics settings down even further, the controller input was lagging out so badly that it was taking upwards of 20 seconds to execute one button command from my controller (simply pressing the down button, once). 

Then I got to looking around in her Device Manager to see if there were any potential driver conflicts or issues and that's when I discovered the second set of issues; "Other Devices," where I am greeted with the following devices having circled question marks beside them:  Bluetooth Peripheral Device, ELDRelay|AP2, ELDRelaySPP, IcService_New, and SMS/MMS.

I have tried downloading all of the drivers for my specific system from HP, installed them all, and still these issues remain. I would really appreciate some help.

So in short, horrible framerate drops and stuttering in games and unknown devices in the "Device Manager" are the issues persisting in this system.  What can I do to resolve them?  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@NXS , welcome to the forum.

I checked the system requirements for the games that you mentioned.  The computer is definitely powerful enough to play them smoothly.  My first impression of what you described leads me to believe it may be the power supply unit (PSU) failing.  The computer is three years old and a PSU failure is not out of the question.  The PSU can cause many problems that don't appear to be power related.

With that said, since the computer is three years old, if it hasn't had a HP System Recovery it would be a good possibility to solve her problem.  Installing and uninstalling apps over the years can leave a lot of unnecessary data behind that can begin to slow down the computer.  Here is a guide to help you do the system recovery: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

This will take some time.  It will save her personal files, but she will have to reinstall games and other apps.  I do this at least once a year on my own computers because I like how they run like new.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster,

The OP is repeating.  Sounds like he does not admire your advice on:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/HP-Pavilion-Omen-580-023w-Several-Issues-Please-Help/m...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001, I'll report it to the Mods as a dup!  They will delete the dup.

HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

@old_geekster,

The OP is repeating.  Sounds like he does not admire your advice on:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/HP-Pavilion-Omen-580-023w-Several-Issues-Please-Help/m...

Actually, I very much respect @old_geekster.  The reason for the double post is because for some reason, it was marked as spam.  I made a second post with the tag "not spam" and it managed to get through.  I try and not be abrasive in general, and my online conduct is no exception.  I apologize for any offense caused. 

HP Recommended
@old_geekster wrote:

@NXS , welcome to the forum.

I checked the system requirements for the games that you mentioned.  The computer is definitely powerful enough to play them smoothly.  My first impression of what you described leads me to believe it may be the power supply unit (PSU) failing.  The computer is three years old and a PSU failure is not out of the question.  The PSU can cause many problems that don't appear to be power related.

With that said, since the computer is three years old, if it hasn't had a HP System Recovery it would be a good possibility to solve her problem.  Installing and uninstalling apps over the years can leave a lot of unnecessary data behind that can begin to slow down the computer.  Here is a guide to help you do the system recovery: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

This will take some time.  It will save her personal files, but she will have to reinstall games and other apps.  I do this at least once a year on my own computers because I like how they run like new.

@Old_geekster: Thank you so much for your reply.  I apologize for not replying sooner (I refreshed the page looking for new responses but wasn't being shown anything until signing in).  I'm not in disagreement with you about it possibly being a potential PSU failure, but regarding doing an HP recovery, unfortunately, that is no longer an option.  At the behest of one of her friends, she took it upon herself to try to fix the problem by doing a fresh installation of the latest Windows 10 with a bootable USB flash drive and now the space that should be reserved for the HP Factory Reset / Restore is showing up completely empty.  

She managed to get Windows 10 installed at the expense of everything on her hard drive, and, as Windows 10 does, began downloading every potential driver it could to enable as many devices as possible.  Still, this was an issue, because she had "Other Devices" showing up that I was eventually able to find, but that doesn't rule out all of the ones that Windows installed before I could utilize HP Support Assistant. 

HP Recommended

@NXS, you are very welcome!

It doesn't appear to be the PSU if she has been able to install Win 10 and it is running properly.  If she gets the computer running without any glitches, she should check for patches for the games.  The developers leave it to us to be their beta testers.  The race is always to get the games on the market as quickly as possible.  Then, they release patches to fix the problems that we all complain about on their websites.  It has been this way for the more than 20 years that I have been playing games.  I think I have experienced about every type of problem.

I would appreciate hearing how things go for her.  I know the frustrations of having an under-performing computer.  This is why I have been helping on these Forums since 2002.

Good luck!!

HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

@NXS, you are very welcome!

I would appreciate hearing how things go for her.  I know the frustrations of having an under-performing computer.  This is why I have been helping on these Forums since 2002.

Good luck!!

@old_geekster

In this never-ending saga, I downloaded and created the latest Windows ISO through the Media Creation Tool, formatted the hard drive and did a complete, fresh install.  I should point out that I downloaded all of the drivers specific for my system from the drivers page for the PC and kept Windows Offline to minimize its ability to grab any generic driver it could associate to the various devices in the system.  I installed each of the drivers and then migrated her Steam-installed games from a backup hard drive I have.  After doing this, I immediately ran benchmarks and they come back looking strong.  That said, I've noticed something whilst monitoring gameplay.

Despite having the i5-7400, which, when coupled with the HP Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB and 8GB of DDR4 memory SHOULD be enough more than sufficient to run most games on high/ultra settings at 1080p, that even when using the "Low" presets at 1080p, the gameplay is still lagging/stuttering and the CPU usage is quick to reach and stay at 100%.  There is audio stuttering as well, even though the temperature is staying around 57 degrees (the GPU runs at around 49 degrees).

The GPU isn't reaching 100% usage even when in high/ultra settings at 1080p, but the CPU, again, despite having great temperatures, is maxing out even when using the lowest settings available.  I've even tried gaming at 768p and the improvement is minimal.  I'm not overclocking the CPU at all, the CPU is supposed to be using 65W, the graphics card is supposed to be using 120W, and the HP PSU is a 300W, so there should be more than adequate power.

I've ran Cinebench, CPU-Z, UserBenchmark, Unigine Heaven, and Firestrike's benchmarking tools and all report valid scores.  What gives??  Any idea what could be causing this?  

HP Recommended

@NXS, I have to go back to my original post.  All of the symptoms that you describe could most definitely be caused by a failing PSU.  While HP has all of their components made to work together, if they are not getting enough power, what you describe can happen.  The 300W PSU is the absolute minimum that will work with the components.  If it is not running at peak performance problems arise.  You should definitely test it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.