2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn together with Omen X

HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I have a problem with my HP Windows Mixed Reality VR together with my Omen X (backpack computer).

Everything is installed and working fine when the computer is in it's docking station with a screen connected to it.

But when I want to utilize Omen Xs portable function and put it on y back everything disappears.

It seems that the HP Windows Mixed Reality VR needs a second screen to work which makes the Omen Xs backpack-option useless...

I've searched the "Settings"-menu but unfortunately not found any options that fixes my problem.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is it suppose to work?

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,292 1,974
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Fredrik_Borg Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues setting up mixed reality headset on your PC. 

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

How is the VR connected to your PC?

As you mentioned you have issues setting up mixed reality headset on your PC. 

To ensure that the headset works properly, connect the headset directly to a USB or HDMI port on the computer, tablet, or other device being used.

1. Connect HP VR headset using a USB-C to USB- A adapter to the unit USC-C port.

2. Connect the HDMI connector from VR headset to unit HDMI port.

For any unit with HDMI port and USB-A port, the 833960-001 or USB-C to USB-A adapter is not needed.

The unit will detect the VR headset and will install the driver. Allow the driver to be installed and you will see a  notification that headset is ready.

Once the driver installation completes follow the on-screen instructions and complete the setup.

Refer this article to know more information about VR not working issue.

Refer this article to further setup VR on your PC.

Also, Try performing a BIOS default on your PC and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Fredrik_Borg
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

All the sollutions written are great if it doesn't work at all. But my MR-kit works when I have the computer connected to its docking station. The problem occurs when I want to disconnect the computer from its docking station to put it in "Back pack"-mode.

I've done some research and found that the MR-kit needs a second screen to work, or atleast something the computer detects as a screen. Every person that has got this to work (MR-kit with the Omen-X Back pack) has had a "Mini DisplayPort"-dummy to fool the computer.

It is an easy sollution for the problem but it seems wierd that the computer doesn't work with a MR-kit on its own.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,292 1,974
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fredrik_Borg, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned to solve the issue you need a second screen to work.

I am happy you were able to find the solution on your own.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 237
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are correct, this is an issue with how the Windows MR hardware and software functions.

As you mentioned, when the Windows MR goggles are installed, they expect a monitor to always be connected, so when the backpack is undocked, the goggles cut out as it no longer sees a monitor. This will happen on any unit made by any manufacturer.

(The VR backpacks were originally designed with the Vive in mine. Hence the additional power ports at the top eliminating the need for the Vive box.)

There are solutions to get the WIndows MR head set working, however:

If you have the Omen back pack: As you noted, you can order an EDID emulation dongle to 'fool' the unit into thinking there is a monitor. (Check available ports on the Omen VR backpack and order accordingly. - I believe there is an open mini-DP port on the top.)

If you have the Z VR Backpack: You can use an EDID dongle on this as well, but because this unit has a Quadro GPU, you can inject a digital EDID into the nVidia software to do the same thing. (I have tested this and it does work.)

We are working with Microsoft on this issue.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
RobinCapper
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for this, have a Z Backpack on loan for trial and struck this.

For anyone else "Injecting a digital EDID into the nVidia software" means with the monitor connected:

Open the nVidia Control Panel > View system topology

Click on the monitors EDID link and export an EDID file to the PC.

Load the exported file

The Topology config table will change from (Monitor) to (File) as source for the monitor and the headset should continue working when un-docked

Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 237
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem.

To note for everyone else, the net big Windows 10 update will fix this issue so EDID's and EDID dongles will no longer be needed.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation