Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-068
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need assistance on figuring out which cpu will work on my HP Omen 880-068. I want to upgrade my cpu but have been reading a lot of issues with the Higos motherboard. Is it possible to install a newer Intel Core processor such as the Intel Core I7-9700K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600x?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK I was going by the original specs which shows a GT 1030.

The 1660 Ti is a mid level card.

Don't get 1700 and 1700x confused. I mentioned the 1700 as it was only rated at 65w like your current CPU is. The air cooler will work without changing. If you change it, HP only used Liquid AIO's. There is some controversy as to what third party cooler will fit that Higos mobo and HP does not sell their liquid coolers separately. So it would simply be easier to leave it the same if you've never done it before. 

But if you are willing to buy a new mobo and CPU and heat sink, you might as well salvage your 1660 Ti and build all new. You have to weigh the cost per performance value against what you are going to use it for.

There is no motherboard to upgrade to as HP uses Proprietary parts that are built to HP specs only.

Sorry.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Griselda_GxFR 

You can only upgrade with the first gen AMD Ryzen series on that motherboard.

AMD and Intel are not interchangeable.

higos cpu upgrade chart.JPG

Judging by your questions, you have never done this before. I would consider having someone with experience help you.

If you did upgrade, I would recommend the  R7 1700 65W cpu as HP used the same heatsink on it as the one you have now. Much easier to reinstall with.

Otherwise, if you require one of the higher/newer end CPU's, you will be better off to buy a whole new PC as your graphics card is very low end also.

HP Recommended

I have a ASUS Rog 1660 TI 6gb vram how is that considered too low of a graphics card? And what type of motherboard would I have to replace in order to put a better cpu inside? I think I’ll just go with the 1700 if I have I no other option but too build a whole new pc. 

HP Recommended

OK I was going by the original specs which shows a GT 1030.

The 1660 Ti is a mid level card.

Don't get 1700 and 1700x confused. I mentioned the 1700 as it was only rated at 65w like your current CPU is. The air cooler will work without changing. If you change it, HP only used Liquid AIO's. There is some controversy as to what third party cooler will fit that Higos mobo and HP does not sell their liquid coolers separately. So it would simply be easier to leave it the same if you've never done it before. 

But if you are willing to buy a new mobo and CPU and heat sink, you might as well salvage your 1660 Ti and build all new. You have to weigh the cost per performance value against what you are going to use it for.

There is no motherboard to upgrade to as HP uses Proprietary parts that are built to HP specs only.

Sorry.

HP Recommended

Okay, it makes more sense now. I will be  looking into upgrading to the 1700 for now until I can build a better computer. I know not to buy a pre-built pc in the future, big mistake. Thanks for the assistance I appreciate the help.  

HP Recommended

You are most welcome. Good luck.  🙂

HP Recommended

Oh and if you are then, dont forget to order some thermal paste also. 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.