Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X Desktop 900-260XE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi  I am  venturing into the pc gaming for the first time   and I am looking to buy the omen x desktop I would like some help with  a few things  that would be best for my omen x pc like hard drives ,memory ,and graphics cards as I plan to do heavy gaming and multitasking   out of the options there are . these are the care options 

HP 1 year Post Warranty Onsite Hardware Support Service for Omen X Desktop HP 2y Onsite Protection Plan HP 2y Onsite w/Accidental Care HP 3y Onsite Protection Plan  The highest options for storage for this pc are these the 64 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (4 x 16 GB) and the 512 SSD + 3 TB HDD storage, would both of those options completely fill those specific compartments or can more be added to them?  I also didn't see an option for dual GeForce GTX  1080 graphics cards, can only one be used for this omen x pc?

I appreciate any experience and advice anyone has with this pc and what they have gotten or found best to get, as I said this is my first venture into pc gaming and I intend to be doing some heavy gaming and am looking for the best options that can fulfill that.  Or if there's a better pc that can handle heavy-duty games and multitasking that is also welcome suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IF you decide you would rather not wait, I would consider doing this custom setup instead of what you were looking at.

It has the 8th gen CPU, not the older 7th gen and can come with a GTX 1080ti.

This is what i use at the moment.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntry...

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

HEllo @BembridgeSch

What country are you shopping in? I would like to see what is offered first.

You certainly don't need 64GB of ram to game with. But it also depends on what else you'll be doing with the machine.

Do you plan on streaming your games as you play on a site like Twitch also?

Will you be doing heavy video rendering?

Are you playing on a standard 1080p 60Hz or 144hz or 4K monitor?

Do you need lots of storage for backup?

Details help.

HP Recommended

I'm in the united states, I'm not sure what you mean by you'd like to see whats offered first, do you mean like a link to the customization page? ,

I have thought about getting into streaming yes when I'm more comfortable, so id like to be future proof so I don't have to spend more money later. video rendering I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that so probably not, but I'm planning to get  three 4 k monitors at least 60hs to 100h if I like them but most likely 60hz as i read that 60h is the standard, and I do plan on trying and playing many games and trying new software etc when I venture into this new area so I feel I will need  a lot of storage games are getting bigger and bigger and size especially the ones that are in 4k  etc . ,id also like to start using the pc for photos and videos instead of my smart phone.

HP Recommended

do you mean like a link to the customization page?

Yup. Different countries have different offerings.

I have thought about getting into streaming yes when I'm more comfortable, so id like to be future proof so I don't have to spend more money later. video rendering I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that so probably not.

IF you're going to get into streaming on Twitch, YouTube later, you will be getting into video rendering when you edit your videos.

I'm planning to get  three 4 k monitors at least 60hs to 100h if I like them but most likely 60hz as i read that 60h is the standard.

Okaaaaay, you can do three 4k screens, but its not a practical setup for gaming.   4K as far as gaming is concerned takes a LOT of compute power and not really do-able. Wont work at all if doing heavy AAA gaming. You would need two graphics cards at least in SLI and SLI is becoming a dead horse now days. Games are getting away from supporting that.

Three 1080p screens would be more do-able and use the 4K for watching movies. Or just use one 4K for gaming.

You have some high expectations, so as far as "future extending" goes, I would consider waiting a little while until the newly released series of i9's and the RTX 2080ti cards are available in the Omen. Shouldnt be too long now. If you want to go 4K and have the fastest setup, Intel and Nvidia are the only choice.

Just my opinion. I realise my answers are short, but this is a lengthy subject that can go on for a long time.

BTW: if you decide to become a gaming streamer in the future, two PCs are better than one. One high end for the games, and one average for the broadcast. That way, if the game freezes or what ever glitch may happen, you dont lose the stream also.

HP Recommended

here the link https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/hp-omen-x-900-gaming-desktop-pc-412003--1?jumpid=cp_r12135_us/en/psg/...

and I see I see, I haven't read too much into the SLI thanks for letting me know i would have just, get it thinking I was supposed to have it, why is it becoming a dead horse? 

and I thought i9 was the new set I wasn't aware there were newer coming out 😕 and I definitely thought 1080 I was the newest I've never even heard of rtx is it better than the gtx brand?   any idea how long a while is?  .__.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I ve already looked it up. Thats why I was able to recommend waiting a while for the new hardware to be put out there.

The newest versions of cpu and gpu are already released, but it will take a while for OEMs to utilize them into their builds.

I dont know when HP will have them ready, thats something they keep to themselves.

Here is an article that helps explain the issues with SLI and why its becoming  a dead end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7up6aw/what_happened_to_sli/

HP Recommended

i see now ive read the thread , i guess ill not do sli then ,saves me some money ,and yeah i looked it too there already out ,i dont usually know when oems actually put the new stuff in there sets though is it usually a few months or years ? 

also i saw someone say once you experience 120hz theres no going back? is 120hz and 144hz monitors really that much better than 60hz?

HP Recommended

Its all opinion. Im sure 144 Hz is a little smoother to some users eyes, but to me its not worth the money spent, especially at the high cost of hardware. If you want to go three monitors, keeping it under a 100 Hz is a lot more do-able.

I like gaming on my Ultrawide monitor instead. More real-estate in the game without a screen bezel in the way. Then setup one or two standard Screens for the other stuff like the maps, chats and the stream interface.   :ThumbUp:

HP Recommended

We are talking months at most, not years on the new hardware used.

HP Recommended

i see i see ,i was gonna go curved they say curved screens are great for pc gaming cause you can see more ,than with a regular flat screen , what monitors do you use if i may ask 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.