2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

High CPU and GPU temperatures on Omen 880-179nd PC

Omen 880-179nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

L.S.,

A short while ago I purchased an Omen 880-179nd gaming PC of HP. I have a question about how the cooling system on this machine works. As I understand it, it has a water cooling system that, from what I read online, should keep my CPU (and GPU?) nice and cool. However, just during writing this message I already see the CPU temperature rising to 60 degrees Celcius (according to Omen Command Center). Also, when I play a game of about 10 years ago (The Witcher Enhanced Edition), the GPU temperatures rise to over 80 degrees celcius. If I don't do anything the CPU and GPU temps are respectively 40 and 36 degrees Celcius.

I think that I am not even trying to load the system to a great extend, so intuitively I would say these temperatures are really high for a system that is supposed to be even cooler than a fan-cooled PC. Can someone tell me if this feeling of mine is correct? I suppose the water cooling system is a closed system that I do not need to fill in order to make it work right?

Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Cor

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
21,890 21,517 2,483 8,253
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JCCvD, welcome to the forum.

Nice computer!

Just for clarifacation, the CPU is liquid cooled, but the GPU is air cooled.  I have an Omen 880-160se with the i7-8700K and liquid cooled.  I have it overclocked to 5.0 GHz at 1.25v.  When playing Tom Clancy's-Splinter Cell-Blacklist, the CPU runs between 60-65C (Tjunction for the CPU is 100C max for the core).  The GPU runs a bit warmer at around 65C.  This game is very CPU and GPU intensive.  Here are the specs for the i7-8700.  Tjunction for it is the same as the 8700K.

I suggest downloading one of the third party apps to monitor your temps, such as, CPUID-HWMonitor.  This will give you a good idea if the temps in Omen Command Center are good.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick reply old_geekster! After I wrote my message I figured that indeed the GPU is air cooled.

However, if you overclock your i7-8700K and get 65C with intensive use, and my 8700K gets already 60C with writing a message (at around 5% load according to Omen Command Center), is that temperature then not too high for my PC?

I did already verify with CPUID and the same temperatures were found.  The GPU temperatures are then also 20C warmer than in your PC, this worries me a bit since I read frequently that temperatures above 40C could reduce life of these components considerably. Of course you understand that I would like to enjoy this PC for a long time...

Cheers,

Cor

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JCCvDwrote:

writing this message I already see the CPU temperature rising to 60 degrees Celsius (according to Omen Command Center). Also, when I play a game of about 10 years ago (The Witcher Enhanced Edition), the GPU temperatures rise to over 80 degrees Celsius. If I don't do anything the CPU and GPU temps are respectively 40 and 36 degrees Celsius.

OK so Idle is between 36 and 40 C.

Out of curiosity, what is running exactly when the temps go to 60? I assume when you open a browser. What browser?

Did you run Task Manager and observe what processes are taking up cpu/memory when the temps go up?

What is the ambient room temperature?

I currently have an 880-160se with water cooler.

I have experienced some of what you are at times, except it will reach in the mid 50s.

I have noticed a couple things when this happens (may or may not be affecting you).

1. I'm directly wired to ethernet. On occasion, the Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 Extensibility Framework will show up in Task Manager and eat up more than 10-20% CPU. Stopping the process drops the temps. I have not figured out why it will run up, other than the MS forums claiming its a glitch.

2. Sometimes the temps go up while I have a browser open, no matter what Im using it for. Running Ccleaner to clear all the Cache files returns the temps to normal, then I can browse without affect. Happens on occasion if Ive been using the browser a lot. Using Firefox Quantum . When its cleared out, temps are 36-40.

MS Edge makes the temps go up to 40-45 no matter what.

If its browser related, give cleaning a try. You can use Ccleaner, or just Disk Cleanup in Windows.

Gaming...  I don't have Witcher so I cant compare. I might give it a try though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation