7 5 1 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to install 120mm fans in OMEN X 900 case

HP 900-114NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to fit additional fans at the top of the OMEN X 900 case, but the screw holes under the plates are too small for standard fan screws, they are designed to screw in a radiator, the radiator screws are designed to pass through the case holes and the thread then lockes on to the radiator assembly. It looks like I will need some type of bracket. Any ideas?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Level 12
Level 12
5,773 5,761 545 1,203
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings MJE2,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I have never worked with an Omen X 900 chassis.

Can you send an image?

I would think you could use a rad screw inserted into each fan mount point from within the chassis which would then secure the fan to the top of chassis. This rad screw should match the smaller screw holes HP has provided within the chassis. This may or may not be true as, again, I have never worked with the 900 chassis.

Are you installing the fans to push air out or pull air into the chassis? This question has no bearing on installing the fans. Just curious. 

I have fans attached in this manner on some builds I have done. Other fans are secured using self threading fan screws. The fan screws are mounted at the exterior of the chassis which secure the fans to the chassis.

Regards

0 Kudos
MJE2
Level 1
7 5 1 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have attached some photos.

The removable plates have the tread to screw in  the radiator size screw 3.30mm. The hole in the case once the plate is removed is 3.74mm approx, which is too big for the rad screw, and too small for a standard 4.80mm fan screw.

I want to put a 4 pin fan at the top to push air out.

Thanks,

Mark.

P1040383.jpgP1040384.jpgP1040385.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,773 5,761 545 1,203
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

You're very welcome.

I can't see the images as an HP Moderator has to approve them.

The removable plate has a rad size hole. Why can't you secure the fan to the plate with rad screws. Then install the removable plate to the top of the chassis.

If you were installing a rad/fan AIO liquid cooling system you would attach the fan and radiator to the plate and then attach the plate to the top of the chassis.

Take the rad screw to a local hardware store if the current machine screw is longer than you need. Find a shorter machine screw which will secure to the removable plate. Can you secure the machine screw using a lock washer and nut?

There has to be a way to install the fan to the chassis.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,773 5,761 545 1,203
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

I see the images.

I see what you are saying. The plates would have to be removed. It appears you would need a bracket that would have fan mounting points. The bracket would then attach to the chassis.

Have you checked HP Part Surfer? Top 120 mm fans for your chassis are available for purchase at HP PartSurfer.

I don't know what to tell you. You need some type of adapter unless the HP PartSurfer fans come with brackets and screws to attach to the chassis.

Do standard 120 mm fan mounting points line up with the chassis' top mounting points? It's hard to tell from the images.

Regards

0 Kudos
MJE2
Level 1
7 5 1 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have included a screen shot from the "Removing and replacing the PCI Fan on the HP Omen X Gaming PC" video during the breakdown they remove a fan from the top of the case which show the adapter, this is the item I need but can't locate the part number.Fan adapter.jpg

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation