Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 690-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I just upgraded my hp 690-0020 gaming desktop and added an m.2 ssd. After installing it to my computer, the bios found it under the “storage devices” tab or something like that. However, when i go to the boot order to select it as the primary boot device, it doesnt show up on the list. I already installed windows to it but i wasnt able to boot to it. My hard drive was also connected and i was able to boot to that, which contained my previous windows install prior to the new ssd one. The only way it would work is if i disabled secure boot and used the legacy bios instead of Uefi. Does anyone know how to get the ssd to show up in the uefi menu 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @insanefire10 

The first rule of thumb when installing to a new drive, is to first disconnect any and all other drives on the system first (your old HDD). Then install the OS to the new SSD. Once you can confirm its working properly, then you can wipe the old HDD and use it for data storage.

In order to install Windows as UEFI, that computers bios must first be in UEFI mode (not Legacy). And the USB installer used to install Windows must also be created as UEFI compatible. IF it was created on a system that was in Legacy Mode, Windows Media Creation Tool might create the USB drive in Legacy bootable mode also. Always subject to change when dealing with Microsoft.

Some of the more technical users find it more useful to download and save the Windows 10 ISO to a storage drive first (if they ever need to revert to it again). Then use a tool like RUFUS USB Creator to create the Win 10 installer in UEFI compatible mode. Perhaps that will help?

https://rufus.ie/  portable version.

Example...

rufus.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi

thanks for replying 

so far if i use legacy bios everything seems to be working

but using uefi is still better so ill try your idea and let you know how it goes

HP Recommended

Well, running in Legacy wont hurt anything. It will run just fine that way also.

You can reinstall now, or leave it and change it back some day in the future if you ever need to reinstall again. Either way is fine basically. UEFI is mostly so Windows can address more hard drive capacity.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.