Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X 900-201nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings all. 

So recently the 3090 rtx has been released and it requires x2 8pin connectors. Now in my omen I already have an extra 8 pin connector but I need to add another one to the psu. Simple right? WRONG! 

Accessing the PSU is a nightmare! I don't even know what psu is in my system other than it is a 1300w psu. Any ideas on how I can know what psu I have so I can know if I can add an extra connector without dismantling my whole pc?

16019383360493828590448019388264.jpg

1601938364497188298222180800462.jpg

As you can see I have reached the PSU after removing the whole motherboard bracket and whatever is on it and yet I cannot see the connectors because of the shielding and if I need to remove the psu I'm gonna have to unplug the rest of the cables and undo all of the cable management done by hp. 

If you can provide me with any tips I would be grateful 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just see what you have available, and what you need for graphics cards.

if that is not enough for both cards, just try the more powerful one, this type of card must be able to handle the software, and two screens!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Nopeland 

It has two 6+2 PCIe power plugs.  I noted a different model, same PSU with a GTX 1080Ti (required 8 and 6 pin).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I believe mine has 3 6+2

But I need 4 since I want the 3090 to be an additional gpu to the 1080ti

So how do I add a cable? 

HP Recommended

you should try to check all that is available
You have this model here, with 1300w power supply

OMEN X by HP 900-208ne Desktop PC Product Specifications
And it is equipped with a sli, so two identical cards

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SLI

External power cables: One PCIe 2x4 (8pin) & One PCIe 2x3 (6pin)

I think that your computer should have the connectors, since it seems to be the same power supply

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Nopeland 

Not sure what or why the 2 cards.

@Prométhée  is correct, "In SLI, you need two cards that have the same GPU".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Nopeland ,

Please see this PCWorld article (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

@Prométhée  @Wb2001 

I appreciate the support so far. 

To answer @Prométhée , My pc came with only one 1080TI. My question is that how do the "One PCIe 2x4 (8pin) & One PCIe 2x3 (6pin)" connectors power two 1080Tis if they both need 2x 8 and 2x 6 pins combined? Or no?

Sorry im a noob in PCs thus buying a ready made one :). Can I use the power cables mentioned to power my 1080TI along with the RTX3090?

I need both cards because I do 3D renderings, and 3D renderers do not care if your GPUs are the same or not, or whether they are using SLIs. 3D renderers can still use both cards fully.

HP Recommended

Hello
So we didn't understand each other.
or I don't understand what you are indicating now ..
Your computer has only one original graphics card that I understood, what I indicate is that the same type of computer, is certainly equipped with the same power supply, but with two cards, so I'm assuming there are duplicate connectors!
Now, I thought this was a replacement, apart from you seeming to want both cards?
"need both cards because I do 3D renderings, and 3D renderers do not care if your GPUs are the same or not, or whether they are using SLIs. 3D renderers can still use both cards fully."

If you have a card powerful enough, I do not see the use of having a card less powerful in addition, but good for you to see.
But if not enough connectors, you will have to buy adapters, but the power will be sufficient, to see

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée

Thank you for your reply. 

To answer the following statement

"If you have a card powerful enough, I do not see the use of having a card less powerful in addition, but good for you to see." 

I would then use the GTX 1080TI to power my 4k displays, since powering displays really hinders the rendering performance, thus, keeping the 3090 purely for rendering.

"But if not enough connectors, you will have to buy adapters, but the power will be sufficient, to see"

I have in total the following:

1. 8 pin connector (6+2)
  2. 8 pin connector (6+2)
  3. 8 pin connector (6+2)

Would this be enough to power both cards? Again sorry im a PC noob.

HP Recommended

Just see what you have available, and what you need for graphics cards.

if that is not enough for both cards, just try the more powerful one, this type of card must be able to handle the software, and two screens!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.