Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 810-270st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It's high time I upgraded mt video card. I want to buy a:

EVGA - XC GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black

The thing is that I don't know if it will fit in my computer, or if the power supply is sufficient, right slot connection, ect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Like I said already, the 1660 TI will be best for that game, yes.

The photos show the PCIe slot, not the power connector from the PSU.

The 8 pin connector comes from the PSU (power supply).

If I may suggest, do some homework and learn what the various parts of hardware look like before replacing parts and such. If not, you might find yourself backed into a problem.

Google some YouTube videos on how to upgrade a graphics card. That should help out a lot. 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Picture.png

In this image you can see what happens to my old Geforce GTX 745 when I play a video in 4k. It taxes my video card and CPU and the playback is not always smooth, so I want a better graphics card to improve the video quality and maybe take some of the load off of the CPU.

HP Recommended

Your HP is a CTO model which means you had to configure the hardware you wanted at time of purchase. So there are no specs that can tell me what it actually has.

What wattage is the power supply (600w?) and what graphics card is in it now?

A GTX 1660 could technically work, but you have to measure the actual space available inside your case and compare it with the dimensions of the card.

HP Recommended

Geforce GTX 745.

600 watt.

x16 PCIe 2.0 graphics card slot.

HP Recommended

Well, you could actually go with a lesser priced GTX 1050 TI also (you can find them used for dirt cheap if video playback is your only goal).  Both of those will also run 4K videos at 60Hz.

The PCIe 2.0 slot is backwards compatible with 3.0 but the card wont run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

600W is sufficient but make sure it has the proper 6 or 8 pin connector for the new card.

Remember to measure the insides of the case to make sure it will fit.

HP Recommended

I'd like a card with Display port to run 4k at 60Hz. My 4k monitor has a Display port. I'll be playing Borderlands 3 soon at 1080p. I decided to root around in my computer. Here is what I saw.

IMG_2001.JPGIMG_2002.JPG

HP Recommended

Also this:

IMG_1999.JPG

HP Recommended

That is why I mentioned a 1050 TI card. It will run video at 4K 60Hz on both HDMI and DisplayPort.

But if you want to play Borderlands, the 1660 TI would be better, yes. You shouldn't see hardly any performance hit because of the PCIe 2.0 version slot if gaming at 1080p.

The images show a PCIe x16 slot. Is that what you are confirming?

You should be good to go with one of those cards. 👍

HP Recommended

It's my understanding that HDMI 1.4 can only do 4k and 30Hz. HDMI 2.0 will do 4k at 60Hz from what I read. Display will do 4k 60Hz.

Ok I'll take a look at the 1050 TI. What card would you buy out of the cards out now that will run on my computer without hassle assuming Borderlands 3 at 1080p and 4k movies?

HP Recommended

The pictures were to determine if I had a 6 or 8 pin connector. I assume that is where you look to see?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.