cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Aaron017
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

I can't remove the 24-pin cable from the motherboard to replace my psu.

HP Recommended
HP Desktop - 460-p001no (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I bought a new power supply so that it can provide enough power to the graphics card I am planning to buy. My pre-built pc has a pci-e x16 slot so I thought "why not buy a gpu?" Then i figured out that the gpu I am planning to buy need more power from the power supply. So i bought a new power supply. The new power supply is a bit bigger than the old one but it seems like it would fit just fine. But the problem is that I can't seem to remove the 24-pin motherboard cable. I tried everything from pushing the latch while pulling it, wiggiling it back and forth but I just can't seem to remove it. I'm starting to wonder whether its even even meant to not come out so that I can't replace the power supply. I did some searching and read that it is possible that they glued the 24-pin connector. Is this true? Help! Here is the old psuHere is the old psuHere is the 24 pin i can't remove!Here is the 24 pin i can't remove!

1 REPLY 1
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,129 5,644 676 1,454
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings Aaron017,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

The 24 pin connector can be hard to remove. It is not permanently connected to the motherboard.

I would remove the PSU so you can get a better grip on the connector.

Fully depress the retention clip on the connector, then wiggle back and forth along the 24 pin axis (don't wiggle the connector sideways on the 2 pin axis) while applying force to disconnect the connector from the motherboard.

All you need is patience and a little elbow grease.

Regards

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation