Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am seeking to upgrade the CPU to an i9-10900. This is the non k version which has a 65 watt tdp, will I be okay with keeping the same power supply in this, and is the motherboard going to be compatible with this new cpu? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK found another model in your same series that does in fact use the 9th gen CPU with the same motherboard and same bios update. I am comfortable saying you are good to go.  👍

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@thatonedude98 

What is your HP Omen ? Its specs should show a list of compatible CPU's from BIOS and motherboard. Please check what is it ? HPSA should tell you what it is.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Omen by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0024

HP Recommended

Omen by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0024

HP Recommended

I think Banhien is telling you to take your model number and lookup your specs page. It will tell you the CPU's that can be used. https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-875-0000-obelisk-desktop-pc-series/23302709/model/23...

But to answer your question more directly... No, you cannot upgrade to a 10th gen CPU. The socket used is completely different from the ones that the 8th-9th gen use.

From your specs, you have the biggest CPU upgrade your model will handle already.

Hope that helps clear things up.

HP Recommended

After clicking the link you provided it appears like I can take up to an i9 9900 into this motherboard. It is on the list of compatible cpu's.

HP Recommended

Sorry I was looking on the first page of specs for your specific model, The motherboard page does show its been updated to allow the 9th gen. But you cannot upgrade to the 10th Gen as you originally asked.

I will want to research the bios update notes to see if the upgrade was in place for yours. With HPs, The bios has to allow the upgrade. You will need to update the bios first if you plan on upgrading. If I find anything to the contrary in the notes, I will let you know.

HP Recommended

Would giving my product serial number help with you determining the answer to this question? 

HP Recommended

yes but we are not supposed to post that on the open forum. If you press Control/Alt/S you should see a pop up window with the PN info. does that work?

HP Recommended

Product Number: 4NM66AA#ABA

BIOS : F.23-08/20/2019

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.