4 2 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installation of extra HD with another OS

OMEN 880-123na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP   

I am about to purchase an OMEN-123na from the store and I would like to know if it's possible for me to install an extra HD taken from my HP Pavilion p6-2388ea.  The pavilion has windows 8.0 64bit on it.  I also want to install a second HD with XP (32bit) at a later date also.

Is this doable and would I need extra cables, hardware etc?  

I would appreciate any help as I am a novice at pc tweaking.  I am an avid gamer and would like the convienience of having multiple OS in the same Tower.  I think it's called "dual boot"?

I am happy to provide any extra specs required should you need them 🙂 

Thank you for your time. 🙂          Ju

Ju
2 REPLIES 2
Level 12
Level 12
5,713 5,701 541 1,196
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This scenario may not be possible. I want to be clear. You can run multiple operating systems. But you should install operating systems in a logical manner or modify the bootloader so the ad hoc operating systems are recognized at boot.

I don't think you can connect additional operating system HDDs to a new PC and expect W10 to allow you to boot to the additional operating systems.

The current W10 boot disk manager is not going to see the new dives as bootable devices.

Windows XP is not going to work on a new HP PC. Maybe in a VM. Don't know. Never even considered doing this.

You can use additional drives as data drives.

Regards

0 Kudos
jujul0708
Level 1
4 2 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz

Thankyou for your reply and I appologise for the late reply, been so busy.  :HalfEyes:

I now have the OMEN 880

Would it be possible for you to explain what  VM is, and if it's possible for me to run XP with it??

Thankyou agian :generic:

Ju
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation