Did you mean: 
vipergtsrz
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing SSD hard drive in Omen 880

Omen 880

I just got an Omen 880 from Costco and it has the top hard drive bays in it. I bought a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD with a mount to add some additional storage to it, but I can't seem to get it to sync up with the connectors when I slide the bay in. Is this bay meant for a 2.5 inch SSD or only for full disk hard drives?

I see another hard drive bay at the bottom of the computer but there are no sata connections to plug into it because they are being used for those bays. 

What do I do?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @vipergtsrz

Im not sure how you installed the SSD but the tray is meant for a 3.5 inch full size HDD. Pretty sure you would need a caddy adapter to mount the SSD in the tray first.

0 Kudos
vipergtsrz
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I got one of those SSD harnesses and installed it just like you would with a 3.5 inch. The port seem to line up and everything, it just won't go into the slot.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm, Ive not tried to do that so far, so I dont know of a caddy that would work exactly. HP doesnt make one for that tray either.

Its going to be trial and error Im afraid. Sorry I cant help more.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation