Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-244 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Im trying to help a friend install a SSD in her Hp OMEN 870-244 Desktop. Ive never had such a hard time installing a SSD before...  :Crying:

After installing a fresh copy of windows 10 on her SSD the "Windows media creation" says its going to restart.

Once it restarts, it goes right back to the beginning of the install.

Then we tried to go into the bios and put the SSD at the top of the boot order but the ssd does not show up in the boot order menu.

The SSD will show up under devices in the bios but will not show in the boot order menu.

Any ideas on whats going on here or what im over looking?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Maybe the W10 installation media is corrupted. 

Is the SSD detected in the BIOS? Okay I missed this, it is detected. Then W10 should install uneventfully.

What version of W10 are you installing? The latest (1809) has some issues.

What SSD did you install in the system, M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 NVME SSD or a 2.5 SATA SSD?

HP systems will have problems with a M.2 SATA SSD. A 2.5 inch SATA drive will work.

The best way to install W10 is to tap "ESC' at boot.

Select the Boot Menu.

Select the the W10 installation boot media (USB or DVD) within the UEFI boot submenu.

Then start the W10 setup process.

Regards

HP Recommended

The SSD we installed was a 2.5 SATA SSD. 

We were using the 1809 but after reading your respone I downloaded a 1709 .iso and gave that a shot. 

But still wont work.

After it finished the installation the computer restarts. but the SSD does not show in the "Boot from" area.

HP Recommended

Im just curious, if the SSD is seen in bios...

IF so, Is the HDD still connected when you install? Wondering if its installing to HDD by default?

If so, disconnect the HDD to force the install to SSD.

Do a custom install and manually wipe all the partitions on the SSD if there are any.

Then let it continue. Don't reconnect the HDD until you make sure the OS will run from SSD.

Also, did you burn the Windows installer media on a PC that is in UEFI mode in bios?

The installer needs to be burned in UEFI mode and the PC needs to also be in UEFI mode with installing to. Otherwise when you create the Windows media USB, uncheck the box for Use the recommended options for this PC.

HP Recommended

The windows 10 installation USB drive is being made on the same computer.

I am unplugging the standard HDD before installing windows10 onto the SSD.

and yes the SSD is showing in the bios under devices, but is not showing up under boot order options.

So I’ve now tried making the windows 10 installation drive the following ways.

with a current, from the Microsoft website “windows creation media tool” (1809)

with a current, from the Microsoft website 1809 .iso and using Rufus. 

With a 1709 .iso using Rufus to make the drive.

no matter how I install it the SSD will not show in the boot order

HP Recommended

Hi Allenfits,

I have never seen this behavior when doing a clean W10 install on a new 2.5 SSD. Does the W10 setup media see the raw 2.5 inch SSD volume during the initial select the installation target disk phase?

Have you tried copying or cloning the current HDD Windows image to the new SSD?

I usually use Macrium free to do this .

Regards

HP Recommended

When trying to clone the HDD to the SSD. We relized that they are not compadable for cloning because of the type of sector the SSD is. We get an error.

From what I understand you cant go from the sector type the HDD was to the SSD sector size.

HP Recommended

Hi Allenfits,

I have been upgrading HDDs to SSDs (both SATA and NMVE SSDs) by copying or cloning from one disk to the other for years.

Maybe you should connect this SSD to a different PC or this PC as a data drive. Boot to the good OS image on the original HDD. Partition and format the SSD.

Then run diagnostics on this drive.

The SSD may be bad.

Regards

HP Recommended

Alright, Ill give that a shot.

Is there any software you would reccomend I use for running diagnostics on the drive?

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP includes hardware diagnostics (Link) from the factory or you can run diagnostics from a USB stick.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.