Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

My SSD died, no longer works, So I got a new one and  I can't seem to get windows 10 installed from a usd stick.. It keeps bsoding at

Windows 10 install files ready for installation at about 10% mark.. I have tried a normal SSD and a normal 2.5inch HD. Neither will work.. I'm unsure what to do, Im use to using a custom built PC's, and this one has been a pain..

Any help would be appreciated. thx.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Simplyd2 

Ill try to help the best I can. I have some questions so I can better understand whats going on. The more details you give when describing your situation, the better it is for us to help you with.

1. What did you use to create your USB installer with? Is it the Microsoft Media Creation Tool?
  2. Is the USB drive recognized if your bios is in UEFI mode or are you installing in Legacy mode?
  3. Your specs show your 880 came with both SSD and HDD. Did you disconnect the HDD before installing the OS?

HP Recommended

Hi I did create it using Microsoft tool

1800x, gtx 1080. 16gb ram. No other storage my storage drive was transferred to another PC and my SSD that died was a M.2 NVME....

HP Recommended

and for question #2 ?

HP Recommended

Sry, Yes the USB is detected in the bios..

HP Recommended

NO, I asking is the bios in UEFI or Legacy Mode?

HP Recommended

I have tried legacy support on/off and Secure book disabled and Enabled. neither work..

HP Recommended

OK. I suggest you disable Legacy so its in UEFI mode. You can leave Secure Boot off for the moment.

I would try creating the USB installer again from another Windows 10 PC. I had an issue like this recently and the user had to use a different USB drive. Make sure the one you are using is between 8 and 32 GB, Not a bigger drive. Ive seen this happen when the installer was created on a 120GB USB drive, it would blue screen during install.

Here is the tutorial I post for showing users how to create the installer.

The main key here is to uncheck the compatibility box. The rest you know.

From any Windows 10 computer, download the MS Media Creation Tool and run it with the USB drive connected... Create media Windows 10 

When prompted, accept the Terms and Agreements.

Next, choose Create installation media.

MS TOOL 01.JPG

Next, uncheck the box for Use recommended!!!

Make sure the Language is correct and the Edition is Windows 10, 64-bit.

MS TOOL 02.JPG

Next, choose USB flash drive.

MS TOOL 03.JPG

Your USB drive should show in the list. If so, click Next.

MS TOOL 04.JPG

Windows will begin downloading the files and create the installer . This will take a while.

When its done, you will see a message stating that its ready. Click the Finish button.

When you install Windows to the new drive...

Choose the F9 key for Boot Device Options.

You should see your USB drive in the list. You will probably see it listed two times.

Choose the one with UEFI in the title.

Choose to do a CUSTOM install. There you want to delete every partition that's showing. Then let Windows continue.

Hope that works now 🤞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.