Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0075na

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand OMEN Obelisk desktop (product number 9HD38EA) with no CPU. I've tried installing a Ryzen 1600x processor, but the system will not boot (no video output, power cycles every 30 seconds or no, no beep code from either onboard sound or LEDs). I have confirmed that the system does work by installing a Ryzen 3600 and successfully POSTing, but I can't use that CPU long term (it's from a different machine). The documentation for the motherboard does list only the 3500, 3600 and 3700x as compatible (I didn't find this page until after buying the machine unfortunately), but that seems like a surprisingly small list.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to use this system with a Ryzen 1600x (potentially by reflashing the BIOS or something?).

2. If not, is the above list of compatible CPUs exhaustive (e.g. is the board compatible with other 3000 series CPUs such as 3100x, 3200G)?

Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bobsundugnutt , welcome to the forum.

I will begin by saying that HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  They use them in many different models with many different configurations.  The processors in the list have been fully tested to assure that they are compatible with the motherboard.

Q:

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to use this system with a Ryzen 1600x (potentially by reflashing the BIOS or something?).  No, if it is not on the list of compatible processors it will most likely not work.

2. If not, is the above list of compatible CPUs exhaustive (e.g. is the board compatible with other 3000 series CPUs such as 3100x, 3200G)?  No!  As I stated above, only the processors on the list are compatible.  The processors have to be 65W.  The Ryzen 5 1600X, for instance, requires 95W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.