8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jittering and frictional sound, maintenance and updates

HP Omen 880 - NT100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased HP Omen 880 - 100nt gaming desktop. After a very long time, this is my first time using Windows and a gaming desktop again. I don't have much knowledge in computer maintenance, problems and hardware. I am very pleased with the performance of my computer. It's been 1 month since I started using my computer. I don't know if it's important but I bought a display product because it was the last product in the stock of the store. I have some concerns and maybe a potential problem with my computer. There is an annoying jittering/frictional sound (like a printer working or printing) when I first start my computer and launching games. Sometimes the sound keeps coming while playing games. It is not very loud, but I can hear it. I made some research on this sound on the forum and learned that it may be coil whine however I watched some youtubes videos about coil whine and the sound isn't similar with the coil whine. Maybe I am wrong. I always check the temperature of CPU and GPU from Command Center while playing games, after the games and idle. When idle both temperatures are between 30 and 40 celcius and after heavy demanding games max temperature I saw is 76 celcius until now. The temperature is between 60-70 celcius in most of my games. I regulary use Windows Updater to see if there is an update and I am currently using Kaspersky Total Security. Should I be worried with this sound ? This is my first concern. I also want to know if I need to update my drivers from the website of the manufacturer or not ? Is Windows Updater satisfactory for this task ? One last thing is that I have never used liquid cooling system, do I need to do anything in terms of maintenance ? I want to thank everyone in advance, I hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,216
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@brk45,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post you need information and assistance related to your HP Desktop. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Does the computer freeze or shuts down due to overheating?

Does this happen only while playing games or when using other applications?

Did you try to update the Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

For now, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link for overheating issues.

Also please take appropriate measures to reduce heat inside the computer from this link that helps to reduce heat.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers on your PC, 

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run an extensive system test on the computer from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Should I be worried with this sound ? No, until and unless you notice any problem, you can keep working on it and do the regular steps which have been suggested and this should definitely take care of any issues with the PC.

f I need to update my drivers from the website of the manufacturer or not ? Is Windows Updater satisfactory for this task ? Yes, Windows update should take care of any issues, If required, you can run HP Support Assistant this is specific to HP Drivers. 

On regular bases, If you run a complete scan and keep your windows up to date, then there should not be any issues. 

Please respond to this post with the details as well as with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
brk45
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jeet_Singh,

Thanks for your reply and assistance. I will briefly answer your question to provide more information.

As I mentioned, I purchased a display product in the store, so many components like HP Assistant, OMEN Command Center etc were installed. For updates, I use HP Assistant and Windows Updater. As for your questions:

1-) I haven't made any changes in any software or hardware. I just install the updates on Windows Defender, Nvidia GeForce (for the graphic card), Razer Audio, Realtek etc.. Things that show up automatically when there is a new update.

2-) I haven't experienced any shutdowns or freeze due to overheating. Just once, a game with heavy graphic requirements freezed. But just once. As I mentioned, I monitor my temperatures frequently. When idle, it is between 30-40 celsius and while playing games 60-80 celcius.

3-) The jittering/frictional sound mostly occurs when launching games and while playing. Sometimes when I am installing a new update or downloading a new game, the same sound occurs.

4-) I haven't tried updating BIOS or chipset. In HP Assistant, "No new updates" shows up right now.

I have one last question, can I update my BIOS or chipset drivers from the manufacturers website ? Is it a better way ? Or should I keep looking for Windows Updater ? 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,216
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@brk45,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I would suggest updating the Bios and Chipset drivers from our HP support website, should definitely help you with this issue.

You could alternatively try updating HP drivers using HP Support Assistant.

Please try the steps suggested and get back to us with the results as this will help us in further assisting you.

Waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
brk45
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

I updated everything and the sound is still coming. I don't know if it is something to worry or not. I will keep monitoring it. I also have one more problem with my monitor-computer connection. Should I open a new post or can I write the problem from here ? 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,975 11,955 794 788
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@brk45

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

As long as it's not overheating or giving poor performance there is nothing to worry about. 

But if the noise increases, then I suggest you follow the instructions which I will be sending in a private message

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

If you have a different issue, We suggest you create a new Post with the issue so that all our community members can help you as well

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation