Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don_Jimbo
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just purchased an Omen and I want to know how to safely overclock my Rysen 7 1800X Chip

OMEN by HP Gaming Desktop PC - 880-040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings:

I have just purchased my OMEN by HP Gaming Desktop PC - 880-040 and I am anticipating the happy experience of opening it and having fun during the set up.  I am hoping my drivers update well and my wireless network will work well so all necessary updates will be made seemlessly.

I want to know how to use the Omen Command Center to Overclock my Rysen 7 1800X CPU. 

I am a newbie at the overclocking stuff so I don't want to stress out my system too much but I would like to know what the recommended settings are for overclocking and how to go about doing this safely,  and by safe I mean not wrecking my cpu and ram.

There are other optomizations for the Rysen chips that I believe may need to be done and I don't know if they have been done on the existing build (Preloaded software and settings) which I should find out this  coming monday, but if there is anyone who knows before I recieve the system I would be most greatful for the heads up.  The Optomizations for Rysen based systems is listed below here:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3180511/components-processors/7-amd-ryzen-tips-and-tricks-to-maximiz...

Please let me know if some of this is done or If I should follow the instructions.

Thank you in Advance for your help.

Don_Jimbo

Problem is that I have been told that I won't be able to adjust the Bios of the Higos Motherboard and instead must use the Command Center to do the Overclocking.  All well and good if it works, which I believe there is more information on the forumns for intel chips than AMD Rysen Chips..

7 REPLIES 7
Level 15
Level 15
21,875 21,502 2,483 8,249
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just purchased an Omen and I want to know how to safely overclock my Rysen 7 1800X Chip

@Don_Jimbo, welcome to the forum.

As an old overclocker, my suggestion for you is, run the computer the way it comes out of the box for awhile until you see how it performs.  Then, when you do make changes it will be apparent if it has made a difference.  I believe that you will be very pleased with the performance without any changes.

I downloaded and installed the Omen Command Center that comes with your computer in the "Software - Solutions" section in my link and there is no overclocking section in it.  I am not certain why.

I am using Intel's overclocking app (Xtreme Tuning Utility) to overclock my Omen 900-025vr (i7-6700K from 4.0 to 4.7).  If there is no overclocking in the Omen Command Center you can search online for the equivalent of the Intel app for the Rysen.

There are hundreds of guides to help you learn how to overclock.  The best advise that I can offer is, take it slowly and write down the settings that you change.  This will allow you to know what works and what doesn't.  Small steps will save you problems.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Advice.  The problem is that I will be playing Star Citizen.  If you are aware of this beheomoth of a video game then you know that even my mighty HP Omen 880 - 040 will be working hard to give me even a slightly playable FPS and functionality.  As I am currently choking and stuttering massively with my intel i7 4770K 16 Gig and gtx 970, I don't know how much of an improvement it will give but I am hoping that there will be a significant change.  One thing that gives me hope is the 500 Gig SSD, which I will be downloading the full Star Citizen build.  That said I would appreciate any advice you have for a recommended RAM Upgrade that the higos motherboard and current ram will use?

Thanks Again.

Don_Jimbo

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Don_Jimbo.  Thank you for the additional information.

Boy, I just reviewed the system requirements of Star Citizen.  I can't imagine that the Omen will have problems running it nicely.  Unless, however, the code is terribly written which does happen in many games these days.  The key words in the description are, Star Citizen is still in development.  What that exactly means I am not certain.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the Omen.  You can find the type of memory in the section titled "Memory upgrade information".  This the memory that has been tested by HP to assure that it is compatible.  You can go to Crucial Memory to see what they have in stock. 

The SSD will make a major difference itself.  

Good luck!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings Again old_geekster

I am already aware that the HP 880-040 takes: 

• Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)

I am contemplating:
GeIL SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model GLS416GB2400C16DC  -Compatible with Ryzen Processors/Motherboards.

Once upon a time when I was much younger I too sold computers and one of the interesting quirks of selling ram was to ensure that the ram was compatible with existing ram in the machine..among other things.

My Question, which I should have phrased better,  is will the ram I selected above work with the existing ram that the computer already comes with or do I have to order ram that is similar to the ram, make and model, that is already in the machine?  

Don_Jimbo

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Don_Jimbo.

Boy, the question of will your new memory be compatible with the existing memory? -- is very difficult to answer.  Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't take the chance.  I have seen too many instances on these Forums over the years where exactly the opposite was true.  HP has their motherboards made to their specs.  I don't know if the memory is made to their specs, as well.

The memory in my Omen, 900-025vr, is Hyundai Electronics.  I don't know what will be in yours, however.

I wish that I could tell with more certainty if the memory will work, but I can't.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there someone who could ?

Don_Jimbo

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  You can look the section titled "Memory upgrade information" to see the recommended memory.  HP doesn't normally test third party products on their computers.  This is mostly up to the owners to do so.

My advice is, wait until you receive the computer and check the brand of memory being used.  Then, contact the Geil's Tech Support to see if they can tell you if their memory will play nicely with the memory in your computer.  I have a feeling that it won't be compatible since it is high tech.

Note:  The Geil memory is 1.2V.  You can check to see if this is the same as the memory in the Omen.  Also, you can use CPU-Z to check the Timings of the memory in the Omen.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++