Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
DESKTOP-B0SSH07P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The title pretty much says it all, looking to upgrade my Omen's graphics card but having trouble determining what will be compatible with its motherboard. I dont care if its NVIDIA or AMD, just want a better one altogether.

I am currently running this computer with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1030 GPU as that is what the computer came with.

Here is all the system information.

System Name: DESKTOP-B0SSH07P
System Manufacturer: HP

System Model: OMEN by HP 880-p0xx

System Type: x64-based pc

System SKU: 2HJ79AA#ABA

Hopefully thats all you will need ^^' If not i can provide more information for you.

Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JordyWild , welcome to the forum.

The specifications for your motherboard don't list the Generation of the PCIe x16 slot.  All of the video cards are backward compatible.  So, most cards should work.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what you need to consider when upgrading the video card:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

Your motherboard has UEFI.  Your power supply unit (PSU) is only 300W.  It may have to be upgraded, also.  I like Corsair PSU's and MSI video cards.

I like to look at the components I buy on Newegg.  They always give the most information on the specifications of their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@JordyWild,

Question for you:

1) 2HJ79AA translate makes reference to the HP 880-068

2) no where is the prefix "p" listed.

3) Why did you not list it as HP 880-068 ?

The unit is 2018, the Pro M2 chipset is PCIEx16 Gen 3.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Old_geekster

So, in short I just need to measure the length of my current card and check how many pins it has and go from there? Just asking to confirm ^^

HP Recommended

@Wb2001

When i go to my System Information on my computer, thats just what it tells me. Not sure as to why or anything, just typed out what i was shown

HP Recommended

@JordyWild,

Q:  So, in short I just need to measure the length of my current card and check how many pins it has and go from there? Just asking to confirm ^^

A: As it states in the article that I provided, it is best to measure the space where the card will be installed.  You have to know that there will be enough space to allow for good airflow.  The wattage of the PSU is also very important.  You PSU is only 300W.  This limits the card that you can buy.  High-end cards require from 400W to 500W.  You need to check the specifications of the cards to assure which supplemental connectors they require.  I suggest that you find a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.