Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X 900-0XX

Hey everyone,

My CPU Cooler fan is extremely loud, averaging around 80 during 37% load. It occurs at random times it seems. During gaming/watching streams the computer desktop will "rev up", sounding like its trying to take off into space. It has also revved up at random times when I'm in the other room and the desktop is idling.

I have reapplied thermal paste to no avail. I have already tried shaking up the cooling cables to elimiante air bubbles.

I am looking for next steps. Thanks everyone.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Check the true CPU load and temperature with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) which will tell you correct information.  The Omen Command Center is reading a constant 70 degs C on my Omen 17 an101na, when the CPU is only truly 35 degs C at 4% load AND when the CPU is 80 degs C at 80% load.  Who knows when, or if HP will fix this.  At the moment I am not sure that the support team even understands the problem :HalfEyes: 

HP Recommended

Here's the temp information,

HP Recommended

Well firstly, your clock is only 1.6GHz when the CPU should be able to run comfortably at 4GHz, so I am surprised that the temperature is so high at 35% CPU load.  No disrespect, but the 6th generation Intel CPUs were not as efficient as the subsequent generations, so I'd expect it to run a little hotter, but not that hot at that load.

What is your system temperature?  Do you have other devices (hard drives, graphics cards) that are producing a lot of heat so the systemt is hot making the CPU hot?  I don't know, but maybe you have a dodgy CPU?

Good luck. :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.