Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hp omen.jpg

EDIT: I have just listened closely and the noise is actually coming from the lengthways vent above the red circle (where the HDMI cable plugs in).  I believe this is the graphics card. 

This morning our HP Omen desktop started making a very loud vibration noise (to the point i thought it was the washing machine!).  I have restarted and left off etc and it makes no difference.  Loud noise from start up and doesnt seem to depend on load.  

The image with the red highlights is where the noise is coming from.  When you press down on the metal where I have highlighted it red, the rattling reduces (which i assume is the metal cover on the back vibrating) but htere is still a loud vibration and rattling noise coming from the PC that doesnt get louder or quieter, just stays very loud. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Update: have taken the side of and identified the issue as the fan from the RX480 graphics card. Have blown out any dust etc but still noisy? 

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Good detective work. The fan may be: out of balance (hitting something  internally as it spins) or failing. 

I would contact HP Support (Link) if you are in warranty.

Try a local PC tech if you are out of warranty and you don't want to disassemble the graphics card.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.