xJokerrrr
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Max Upgrade Capability

OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I'm just getting into PCs and stuff, and I know a little bit about them. But I don't know enough to make changes to my pc. 

I recently bought the HP Omen desktop, model number 870-224. The current cpu is enough for now, but I am already looking to upgrade it to an i7 processor. I also plan on upgrading the GPU, hopefully to a 1080 Ti if possible. I also want to know if my RAM could be upgraded (I believe another 8GB stick can be used, just wanted to be sure), and want to make sure that the new RAM would be able to work with my computer ( I read that you can buy the wrong type and our PC won't start up).

I am also aware that I may need to upgrade my power supply. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm a beginniner, and the HP Odense 2k motherboard isn't exactly common, I tried looking it up.

Thanks for your time and help!!!

P.S, I just want to know what the max I can upgrade to on everything. If the 1080 Ti isn't possible, then would the regular 1080 be possible? 1070? Applies for everthing.

2 REPLIES 2
krzemien
Level 7
683 665 28 151
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Max Upgrade Capability

0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Max Upgrade Capability

@xJokerrrr wrote:

Hi. I'm just getting into PCs and stuff, and I know a little bit about them. But I don't know enough to make changes to my pc. 

I recently bought the HP Omen desktop, model number 870-224. The current cpu is enough for now, but I am already looking to upgrade it to an i7 processor. I also plan on upgrading the GPU, hopefully to a 1080 Ti if possible. I also want to know if my RAM could be upgraded (I believe another 8GB stick can be used, just wanted to be sure), and want to make sure that the new RAM would be able to work with my computer ( I read that you can buy the wrong type and our PC won't start up).

I am also aware that I may need to upgrade my power supply. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm a beginniner, and the HP Odense 2k motherboard isn't exactly common, I tried looking it up.

Thanks for your time and help!!!

P.S, I just want to know what the max I can upgrade to on everything. If the 1080 Ti isn't possible, then would the regular 1080 be possible? 1070? Applies for everthing.

Honestly it sounds like you bought the wrong PC for what you want. That is way to much upgrading for a new pc. Complete waste of money imo. My advice would be to take it back, do some more research and get what you actually want. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation