Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Laptop

Hello, I need some assistance.

I just got my laptop this December and a few weeks ago whenever I restarted or shut down my laptop the next time I opened it my files disappeared. In my downloads it said I had never downloaded anything and when I save picture and other things they disappear.

Though, when I got on things to look at my games they are still there and don't need to be re-downloaded, only re-logged into.

I am asking this because I also use this laptop for my art, its also just annoying to have to re-login to Steam everything my laptop shuts down.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AGuyWithAComput , welcome to the forum.

It could be that you have a virus that is causing your files to disappear.  Here is a scanner from Microsoft that will remove them if necessary:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-down...

In Steam you can go into "Settings/Interface/select Run Steam when my computer starts".  This will start Steam every time you boot.  This is the way I have my Steam setup.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you but I've already tried getting an anti-virus (Malwarebytes) and I have had it sweep my computer multiple times. And the thing with Steam is every time this problem happens I have to login to Steam again.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @AGuyWithAComput!

I would have been surprised if you hadn't run an anti-virus, but I never know the level of expertise of the members.  I start with the basics.  I suggest doing what I do.  I have a 32 GB thumb drive, Microsoft One Drive and two USB external hard drives.  Anything that I want to keep safe I have on all four drives.  You could save the files to one backup drive to see if they disappear.  Also, have you checked all of your settings to assure that they are correct.

Here is a guide that might help you determine what could have happened:  https://www.bitwar.net/1079.html

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.