Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Obelisk Desktop

My OMEN Desktop turns on for a few seconds, then turns off, then turns on again.   It does this until I press the off button.  Note that my keyboard or monitor does not turn on while this is happening.  It looks like it’s trying to turn on, but can’t.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You probably have a power supply problem or a short that is causing power supply cycling. 

I would suggest disconnecting all peripherals except the monitor. Try onboard graphics as well.

You may have to disconnect internal MB components to isolate the problem.

Try starting the system with only RAM connected to the MB. I am not suggesting you remove the CPU. The PC will not POST with no CPU installed.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

So I have an HP Omen Desktop as well. I experience the same issue you do and I think I may have figured out the culprit.

So after giving up and doing a full complete reinstall of windows I noticed this issue went away.

The issue only returned after installing HP Omen Command Center. 

Now I don’t think it’s the Command Center itself but more or less it’s a few programs that are required to run it. One is an HP program that basically just tells you what all your computer has...kind of like the about section in the Windows 10 settings. You have to have that installed for Command Center to work.

In order to access the overclocking and network booster features though you have to install another program....I think it’s more a driver but without it you cannot access those features. I noticed that during installation it accesses the command prompt to show you the installation process. It errors out with me while installing the AMD part of the driver but I’m guessing that’s because I do not have an AMD processor.

Anyway, once it completes the installation it reboots your computer for you. As soon as that is completed I started to experience the issue of the PC turning itself off.

If I restart the computer instead of the computer staying on during the restart it turns off then back on. If I turn the computer on after shutting it down it turns off but then right back on and I can boot into windows.

I’ll be doing a clean install of windows again tomorrow but this time around I’m not going to install the OMEN Command Center or even the HP Support Assistant.

I’m even a little worried because I own an HP Omen laptop as well and I see in the support assistant section for driver updates that there is an update for the SDK driver for the Command Center. Not even sure I want to mess with it because I’m not sure if that is what could be the problem.

Plus ADWCleaner from Malwarebytes labels all the HP software as bloatware anyway so I’ll probably just stay away from it all together.

Only bad part is the only way I was able to get this issue to go away was through a clean install. Uninstalling Command Center and all the HP software did nothing to remedy the situation and there isn’t a way to uninstall the driver that is needed for Command Center to be fully functional once it’s installed.

I hope this info helps and I hope you can get your situation resolved.

Let me know if you were already able to remedy this issue for yourself and if so what you did to fix it. I’d be interested to hear what you have to say.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.