Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-114nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just freshly reinstalled windows and the whole PC like 3 days ago, everything is working fine, i downloaded all the updates (GPU, BIOS, Windows, everything), have like 2 games installed, everything is working fine, however few times per day my PC completely freezes. Screen, audio, everything just stops for like 3 seconds. Any ideas on how to fix it? 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Simon38 , welcome back to the forum.

The problem you are experiencing could be caused by several things: 1) heat, 2) power supply unit (PSU) failing or 3) failing memory.

Let's begin with heat.  This can be solved by cleaning inside of the case thoroughly; especially the fan/s and CPU cooler.  The computer is over 2 years old and a lot of dust can develop.  Once you have thoroughly cleaned it, run it to see if that helps.  If not, let me know.  The freezing every 2 hours or so is the clue to a possible heat problem.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

We just cleaned it yesterday and it looks like it didnt help. I think power supply unit should be fine aswell because i know i have already had this problem but then i got rid of it after like a week. (That was like 8 months ago i think). It just disappeared out of nowhere. Thank you for taking the time to try to help me though. I really appreciate it. 

If you have any ideas how to see whether the PSU or memory is failing i would 100% try to test it, anything is possible.

HP Recommended

It happened just now when i was doing pretty much nothing, just in online zoom call and my CPU / GPU wasnt used at all.

Is it possible i heard my disk doing something? It felt like that usual disk noise when writing / doing something. Like that 1 second noise. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Here is a guide to help you test your computer for hardware failures: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893/model/21949255/do...

You can test your hard drive using SMART from the BIOS/UEFI.  This will tell you if the hard drive is failing.

HP Recommended

Just did the tests (the short one and the long one) and neither of them is showing any problems. (The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics) So i guess the hardware isnt the problem? Or can it still be? 

Thank you, Simon

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Simon38!

I would test the PSU.  It can cause all of the symptoms that you are experiencing and some that you wouldn't think would be caused by it.  Even if it is failing the computer could boot.

HP Recommended

Alright, sounds good. Are there any ways how to troubleshoot the PSU? I saw some posts suggesting with disconnecting it and testing it with a paper clip however that sounds pretty complicated, wondering whether theres some easier / software only way to test it. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Simon38, the paper clip will work if the PSU has not completely failed, but may not be correct.  If you can use a tester it would be better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.