Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP Omen 870-224 prebuilt a few years back and thought it was time for an upgrade. I stripped everything inside and upgraded it(CPU, GPU, RAM)and it went pretty smooth. The only issues I have are I get a 90d error after i turn my pc off and on(it goes away by itself and boots up normal). Then my PC beeps 4 long times and 2 short and runs as normal. While PC is on I have no issues and it was runs smooth. It’s just these two errors on the startup. Can I fix this? 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@bekp , welcome to the forum.

The fact that you upgraded several components at once presents a problem with diagnostics.  It would help to know the manufacturer and model (A link to them would be good.) of the CPU, RAM and GPU.  I will check compatibility with the motherboard.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as a retail board.  If you are not using fully tested components from HP's list this could be the problem.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Of course. I made sure to double check on the HP Website to make sure everything is compatible. I have a I7-7700k CPU, a RX 5600xt GPU and 8GB of corsair RAM. This is my exact 90D error https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05606404

I cant seem to figure out the beeps. 

HP Recommended

@Old_geekster

Of course. I made sure to double check on the HP Website to make sure everything is compatible. I have a I7-7700k CPU, a RX 5600xt GPU and 8GB of corsair RAM. This is my exact 90D error https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05606404

I cant seem to figure out the beeps

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @bekp!

I suggest that you remove all of the upgrades and replace the OEM components, except for the processor.  The i7-7700K is not on the list of compatible processors in the Product Specifications page:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962

I believe this may be your problem.  You should remove the new RAM and GPU and reinstall the OEM components, as suggested.  Once this is done, boot the computer to see if you still get the error message.  This will eliminate them as suspects.

HP Recommended

The link you sent says the I7-7700k (Kaby Lake) Is supported

HP Recommended

@bekp, if you look at the picture below, you will see that it states i7-7700 (Kabylake).  There is no "K" after the model:

Capture.PNG

If the Multiplier was unlocked it would show i7-7700K (Kabylake).  I looked at the Processor upgrade information in both the Product Specifications and Motherboard Specifications and it is listed the same way.  It is not the overclockable "K" model.

HP Recommended

I am sorry I got confused. I don’t have the 7700K, I have the 7700 kaby lake. My bad I thought they were the same! 

HP Recommended

@bekp, not a problem! 😉  While the processors are one of the smallest components in the computer, they can be the most misunderstood.  There is a lot of good information out there to fully explain the difference in the two models.

Now, however, we have a complete different scenario.  Since the processor should be compatible, which of the new components is causing the problem?  I go back to my previous suggestion.  I would remove the new RAM and GPU and reinstall the OEM components.  Leave the i7-7700 installed and boot the computer.  This will eliminate them as the culprit if you still receive the error message.  If the computer boots without getting the error message, install the RAM and boot the computer and so on.  This is the way that I troubleshoot my computer problems.  Also, when I install important software and driver updates, I install one at a time.  This allows me to boot the computer with each.  If there is a problem I can uninstall the culprit.  Sometimes troubleshooting can be a bit of work, but doing it systematically is the best way to solve the problem or not create one in the beginning!

HP Recommended

Did both and still got the error... Do you think it may be a software issue? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.