Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Obelisk 875-1131
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, 

I know this has been asked before, but for whatever reason I think the thread has been disabled to the point where it's not longer able to accept replies.  I purchased this HP Omen Obelisk PC w/ an i7-9700k, 2080s, etc.  First and foremost, apparently the bloatware (HP Omen Command Center) creates issues with FPS games, my right click had input issues, and there were beeping noises constantly emitting in game.  Apparently I had to uninstall this program to fix the issue, rendering my lighting useless.  Is there an alternative program that would let me utilize this feature?

Secondly, my PC seems to have issues shutting down properly.  I tried restarting it, and then was able to shut down, however the problem is back, and I'd rather not have to continue to restart every time I want to shut down.  Hibernation is disabled.  Please help.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Keevot To ensure the device turns off properly, let me know if you get any error messages when you attempt a shutdown, if not, here's what you need to do:

a) Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> right click on Command Prompt -> select "Run as Administrator". Type net stop wuauserv to stop Windows Update Service. 
Wait till you get : The windows update service was stopped successfully. " (DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT). 

b) - Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution 
- Delete all files in "DataStore" folder 
- Delete all files in "Download" folder. 

c) In the Command prompt window, type net start wuauserv to start Windows Update service. 
Restart your computer and try to get update again (this should fix the issue permanently). 

As for the command center, please install a new version using this link to resolve the issue: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is really irritating not to shut down your PC when are you going to turn it off. I didn't face this kind of issue yet. So no better experience in it. I hope someone will help you. 

HP Recommended

Hello

First of all, I've to say that I'm really disappointed with the Quality of the HP Omen Desktop PC's and it's Software. I've bought an 875-1987nz (worth 3'300$) which broke after 3 Hours of doing Updates (one Update was 86GB big!) . What happened is that after a restart it didn't boot anymore. Maybe the Mainboard had been defective or maybe something else. Lukely the seller kindly replaced it. Now I got the new one and I'm really scared to do even updates at all. As unstable this PC is I can't even risk to update the BIOS to resolve SSD issues.

Anyway, yesterday I had a "critical Windows update". After that update the computer wouldn't shut down. I had this problem once with my Predator Laptop and sometimes it is the Windows energy settings fault I believe. Depending on the Energy settings I had to deactivate "fast start" to solve this Problem. Since modern Desktop Computers have SSDs I think the fast startup option isn't needed anyway.

If the suggestion with the "Windows updater reset" from the HP Support didn't help then try disabling "fast startup".

To disable Fast Startup, press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog, type powercfg.cpl and hit Enter. The Power Options window should appear. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left.

Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and uncheck the box for "Turn on fast startup". 

Note: If these options are greyed out then you may need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher, @Keevot

So, I tried the solution from Riddle_Decipher but I found out that my Windows Update Services was set to "manually updating" and that there were no folders to delete in the first place. So this solution didn't help me at all.

Wha I also found out is, my computer doesn't shut down after a longer session. I don't know what hinders the computer to shut down but I'll try the solution I used for my acer predator laptop. I turn off the fast startup and see if this resolves the problem.

By the way, I tried to start my computer with and without fast startup and there is no big difference if you use an ssd for Windows.

HP Recommended

@Ovecarleone The Fast Startup feature doesn't fully turn off your computer in order to decrease the booting time. Instead, it hibernates the kernel session, which is the reason why Windows 10 cannot shut down. Thus, to fix the issue in this case, you can perform a full shutdown on your computer. There are two ways to perform a full shutdown in Windows 10. Apply the one you prefer.

Option 1. Use the Shift Key

When you click "Shut down" in the Start menu, press the "Shift" key simultaneously to turn off your computer completely.

Option 2. Use CMD

Step 1. Click the "Start" button and type cmd.

Step 2. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator".

Step 3. Enter the command shutdown /s /f /t 0.

Some users can't shut down Windows 10 during the update. If you are in such a situation, you can run the Windows troubleshooter to resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.

Step 1. Click the "Start" button and type troubleshoot.

Step 2. In the result, choose "Troubleshoot".

Step 3. Under "Get up and running" section, click "Windows Update".

Step 4. Click "Run the troubleshooter".

Method 4. Run Windows System File Checker Tool

If some of the Windows system files are corrupted on your computer, you will surely encounter problems, for example, "a required drive partition is missing". The builtin Windows System File Checker tool is able to check and repair missing or corrupted system files for you, which may help you fix "Windows 10 won't shut down".

Step 1. Click the "Start" button and type cmd.

Step 2. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator".

Step 3. Enter the command sfc /scannow.

And that should resolve the issue.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher

I knew that the fast startup feature had to do with the kernel session but it shouldn't leave the computer in a state that makes the fans spin at 100%. It should look like it turned off even if it's in hibernation. What I've seen after turning the fast startup feature off is that when I shut down the system there are still some programs running but I can't see what programs. Without the fast startup the system forces them to close.

The only thing I know right now is that turning off the fast startup option is the same as doing your option 1 or option 2 without all the trouble of shift clicking or opening cmd. Tbh turning off the fast startup feature resolved my problem but I'll try your option 3 and 4 anyway. If the computer shuts down with the fast startup option on then the problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

@Ovecarleone Alright, keep us posted, when you are done following all the suggestions,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher

I tried option 3 and 4.

I used the troubleshoot for the windows updater and nothing was found. I started cmd as admin and typed sfc /scannow. It checked the system but everything is alright. The problem persists with fast startup on.

HP Recommended

@Ovecarleone In other words, the issue no longer occurs when the fast startup is off, isn't that right? 

Is there any specific reason you wish to keep it on?

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.