Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-139nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have paid a lot of money to buy my HP omen 880-139nx and it is a beast. But two weeks in, it start to show some problems.

I shut my PC every night before I go to sleep. Lately it started not to shut down, when I press "Shut down" the lights stays on and the fans still working as if I didn't shut it down but it won't send signal to the display so every time I must press and hold the shut down button to turn it off completely. Does that harm the PC?

I think you guys call that PC locking when shutting down. I'm new to the PC world so please make my experience less terrifying that I'd loss the thousands of dollars I paid for the PC over some small errors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ProfFiras95 

When you go to the Start menu and click on Shut Down, Windows is hanging and not fully turning off?

What happens if you click on Restart and let it reboot.

Then click on Shut Down.

Does it fully shut down then?

If not, in Windows, right click on the Start Menu and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

When the black window opens, type or copy/paste this line...

powercfg –h off

and then tap the Enter key.

If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input.

Now exit the command prompt.

This will disable Hibernation.

See if it helps.

BTW: To re-enable it, type

powercfg –h on

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ProfFiras95 

When you go to the Start menu and click on Shut Down, Windows is hanging and not fully turning off?

What happens if you click on Restart and let it reboot.

Then click on Shut Down.

Does it fully shut down then?

If not, in Windows, right click on the Start Menu and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

When the black window opens, type or copy/paste this line...

powercfg –h off

and then tap the Enter key.

If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input.

Now exit the command prompt.

This will disable Hibernation.

See if it helps.

BTW: To re-enable it, type

powercfg –h on

HP Recommended

'If I restarted my PC then clicked Shut Down it will shutdown. The problem is when I have left it on during the whole day.

I Don't believe that the problem is Hibernation because my Power button is set to Shut Down already.

I tried '' powercfg –h off '' in the Command Prompt it won't work it tells me '' 

Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (Ox65b) has occurred: Punction failed during execution.''

Again thank you very much for helping me again Sir and helping the growth of this community.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@ProfFiras95 wrote:

I Don't believe that the problem is Hibernation because my Power button is set to Shut Down already.

Read the links that @krzemien  posted and try the instructions in his second link for turning off Hibernation. It states to run the command in the CMD that you have to open as an Administrator like I pointed out. Hibernation enabled can absolutely be involved with your situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.