Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer makes weird grinding noises whenever it is on. I believe I have located the sound to either my HDD or my power supply. I sent the computer to HP support about a year ago because it didn't work and they sent it back fixed of that problem. Then, it started making grinding noises and beeping noises so I sent it back to them again. In return, they sent me the PC back with what looks like nothing fixed to it. It still makes beeping and grinding noises, but I can't send it back to them because my warranty has ran out and I don't want to be charged for it. If anyone has any clue how to fix the grinding and beeping noise issue, please reply.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Maverik 

It helps us if you also post the product number of the computer you ask about.

What you described sounds like the hard drive is failing, assuming you have an HDD installed.

It will most likely need to be replaced. If you have any data that needs to be saved to an external drive, do so now.

Run the HP Diagnostics Tool and test the hard drive...

Rapidly tap the F2 key when you first turn the power button on.

Go to Component Tests and run the hard drive test.

Run the quict test first. If it finds nothing, run the long test next.

HP How to use Diagnostics

Sometimes the diagnostics doesnt detect a bad drive, but it usually does.

If it gives you any error code, it detected the drive is bad.

HP Recommended

I will get back to you with results when I run the diagnostics tool in a bit, but do you by any chance know if HP will pay for the fix? Since they sent it back knowing that the HDD was failing. I don't have warranty anymore but the product number is 4CE72231MC.

HP Recommended

I ran the short test a day ago and it passed, so I ran the long test last night and it passed as well. How certain are you that it is my hard drive failing?

HP Recommended

I cant guarantee anything unless I had it in my hands to test with.

But when a hard drive is making grinding noises and beeping (yes, some drives will beep when there is a problem), its a sure sign of a failing drive.

If you got the machine back and it was still making the noise, you should have contacted someone at HP sooner. With your model being expired mid last year, its pretty much too late to do anything about it now.

You would need to replace it yourself.

Sorry, to hear of the trouble. That is the best I can do from a forum standpoint.

HP Recommended

Okay, and yeah I regret not sending it in while it was under warranty. One last question though, is there any other component in the computer that would make the grinding and beeping noise or is it pretty much just limited to the hard drive?

HP Recommended

Only you can verify the noise is coming from the HDD by listening. If you do hear it coming from the drive, it should be replaced.

Otherwise there is no other component that would make both noises that I have ever experienced.

HP Recommended

You could completely disconnect the HDD, then run the PC in bios mode and listen if you still hear the noise.

Rapidly tap the F10 key at power on, to access the bios.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.