7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVME Questions

OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two items.

First, my system has  256gb  NVME SSD and 2 TB HDD.  Windows shows capacity of drive C:, which Is the NVME as 237gb and  the capacity of my drive E; with is the HDD as 1.8 TB.  What happened to the other .2 TB (or 256gb)?  Are the contents of the NVME duplicated on the HDD?

Second, because drive C; is on the NVME, it's full.  I'd like to upgrade to 512gb NVME.  I konw how to physically to the upgrade.  What I need to know is what I need to do wrt the OS?  Can I just do a full system backup, replace the NVME and then do a full system restore?  If not, then what do I need to do.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Luna

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVME Questions

Hello @mluna202

Theres nothing wrong with your system. All computers do this.

Its all about numbers. The advertised number is a decimal number (1024 Bytes) vs how the computer see's the drive in binary (1000 bytes). Heres an old article from another forum that explains it pretty well... 7 Forums

There are different ways to re-install Windows to a new drive.

1. You can and should make your HP USB Recovery Media always. Since that series also comes with a 512GB SSD, the HP Recovery Media will install to that also. Remember to disconnect your HDD first, before installing the OS.

2. You could also use a utility to create an image of the entire drive and copy it back to the new drive also.

Aomei, Macrium are a couple of examples.

3. Or simply clean install via the Microsoft ISO with the Media Creation Tool.

Did this answer your questions? Let me know.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation