Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I've recently acquired a few new parts to upgrade my PC and I've encountered some errors with running the new CPU. As of now, I am using my old CPU because I am able to boot but when I use the new one (i5 9600k) the fans will run for about a second then the PC will turn off again. I've updated my BIOS to the version by which it lets me, but I'm also unable to update to the newest 2019 update under the BIOS product registry for the 870-120 and 870-100 series. I've also troubleshooted other things like removing RAM, cMOS, and switching SATA cables with no luck so far. Anyways, here's my specs with boot up:

MSI Ventus: RTX 2070 Super

Intel i5 6400

8gb x 2 RAM

2x1 TB HDD

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@clayben 

I hate to tell you this, but it would have helped if you did some homework before purchasing a 9th gen CPU upgrade.

That Omen 870 cant be upgraded to any thing other than another 6th gen CPU.

Here are your specs.....

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-100-desktop-pc-series/12079703/model/13878933/do...

And beyond that, if you could go beyond the 6th gen, you would only have been able to go up to a 7th gen.

Socket LGA 1151 has two versions. The first will only accept 6th and 7th gen. The second will only accept 8th and 9th.

And even then, not on an HP unless there was a bios update that specifically allowed this.

I'm sorry, there is nothing you can do unless you wanted to build a complete new computer including a whole new motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.