Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP01-0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just picked up this  HP Pavilion TP01-0066 and I want to upgrade the GPU. The current RX550 doesn't use external power so i was wondering what my options are? Does the current PSU have an 8 pin connector available if I upgrade to a GTX 1660? If not, what's the best GPU that would work for this current setup? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

So, I opened the box to see what PSU power outputs were available and found two available outputs. 1, 6 pin and 1, 2 pin. I just order a 6 pin to 8 pin converter. I also just purchased the GeForce GTX 1660 Super GPU. I'll have it plugged in on Saturday and update how it runs.

HP Recommended

@Skeptic30 

Is your 310W PSU the L64961-800. Your saying it has a 6pin and 2 Pin unused.  Do these form an 8 pin? 

Most PCIE power plugs are now 6+2 plugs. See here.

I update my spreadsheet on these models as new info become available. If your PSU is the L64961-800, and does have the 6+2 PCIE power plug, that would be "news" worthy information, and create a new update.  From typical hardware configurations with the GTX 1660 series, the base PSU is the 400W model. Would be interesting to know if you actually succeed with only a 310W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I'm not sure of the model number. Yes it has two separate available plugs. One 6pin and one 2pin. I purchased a 6pin to 8pin converter and installed the GTX 1660 super GPU this past weekend. 

It seemed to run well but my Oculus Rift is running a bit wonky. It's telling me the headset usb is plugged into a usb 2.0 and needs to be plugged into a 3.0. It is plugged into a 3.0 so...

Not sure if this is an available power issue or a glitch with Oculus. Otherwise the GPU runs well. I did a benchmark test and it scored really well. 

HP Recommended

@Skeptic30,

Did you look at the plug link? Is it the same?  The PSU # would be vital to know.

The motherboard does have 2.0 and 3.0 rear USB ports.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yes it is exactly the same.

HP Recommended

@Skeptic30,

Unable to update my spreadsheet without confirmation of PSU part number. I can not assume.😒

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.