Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
30L
Microsoft Windows 11

Will the M2 slot recognize Pcie 4.0 with higher speed for a boot drive currently has WD 3.0 512 Mvme boot drive Want to upgrade to a 850 WD series or 970 Pro but only if the bios and slot will take advantage of the faster speed

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

I will provide general information because you have not provided a specific HP product number.

Your MB could be a Intel 400 chipset or a Intel 500 chipset. The Intel 500 chipset supports Gen 4 NVME drives having faster throughput. The Intel 400 chipset supports Gen 3 (PCIe 3.0x4).

A Samsung 970 Pro may provide faster data throughput when compared to the HP factory installed drive but cannot reach PCIe 4.0 speeds. The 970 series is limited to Gen 3. A Samsung 980 will support PCIe 4.0x4 speed.

Data read and write speed is limited by the MB chipset and the capabilities of the NVME drive as determined by the manufacturer.

Regards

HP Recommended

OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-1365xt Bundle PC

sorry this is the product model

Chuck

HP Recommended

Hi,

This must be a new product. HP Support is not providing technical specs for this specific product. I cannot link to the specific MB HP used in your PC.

However the Intel 1000 series PCs in this product line use two different MBs: Both are Z590 Chipsets. Z590 supports PCIe 4.0 lanes but the following MBs do not. You may have a different Z590 MB.

Oasis (Link to specs), This MB supports two PCIe Gen 3.0x4 M.2 slots.

OasisOC (Link to specs) This MB also supports two Gen 3.0x4 M.2 slots. This MB supports Intel K and F CPUs.

Regards

HP Recommended

Can you tell me if you have the SN of the system?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't work for HP. I am a forum volunteer.

I would not have access to the serial number.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help the MOBO says Oasis OC Rev. B

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

HP may have changed some specifications on the Rev. B MB.

I run Samsung 970s on PCIe Gen 3.0x4 MBs seeing read and write speeds very close to the manufacturer specs for the drive. The 970 will most likely be faster than the HP factory installed drive.

I can only see or feel a difference in read/write speeds when comparing different drives by running benchmarks. You would see a time difference if you are processing large data sets.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well finally got it up and running the here are the specs:

• HP name: Stark
  • SSID: 8860
  • Chipset H570
  • Expansion Slots
  • One PCI Express Gen 3 x16
  • One PCI Express Gen 3 x1
  • Two M.2 expansion slots
    • One M.2 socket 1, Key A
    • One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)
  • Chuck
HP Recommended

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the info.

That is a different MB. You have a H570 chipset using PCIe Gen 3 on the x16 and x1 slots and the single M.2 socket used for storage.

You can upgrade to a faster M.2 drive such as the Samsung 970 or you can use a PCIe Gen 4 M.2 drive. Gen 4 drives will work on PCIe 3.0x4 but will be limited to Gen 3 speeds.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.